Subject: [tsv-area] Congestion Transparency (re-ECN) ad hoc BoF @Stockholm IETF

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:04:36 +0100

ICCRG & TSVAREA folks,

Just to announce this invite if you're not on the [email-masked] list.
Apologies if you are.

Bob

>Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:00:39 +0100
>To: re-ECN unIETF list <[email-masked]>
>From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Congestion Transparency (re-ECN) ad hoc BoF @Stockholm IETF
>
>Folks,
>
>I'd like to get together people who might be interested in helping 
>organise a BoF on Congestion Transparency (re-ECN) for a future IETF.
>
>15:00 - 16:30 CET Thu 30 Jul Rm 501 @ Stockholm IETF conference venue
>
>Pls give ideas for agenda items (I will too).
>
>This isn't intended to be a general show-and-tell - it's mainly for 
>people interested in helping/reviewing/discussing plans for a BoF to 
>form an IETF working group. This should complement the design team 
>work going on in ICCRG on a new capacity sharing architecture for 
>the Internet. 
><http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/CapacitySharingArch>
>
>For those who won't be able to attend (and those who will), this 
>list would also be a fine place to start discussions.
>
>The main idea is to get some protocol specification activity going 
>around re-ECN. Probably initially experimental track. So we can make 
>some practical progress. But there is also room for writing docs 
>about uses of congestion transparency and so on.
>
>My colleague Alan Smith has (finally) got the green light from our 
>employers to open source the Linux kernel code he has written. And 
>there are two implementations in ns2 that I know of, with another 
>two being planned. So we ought to be making sure the spec becomes 
>truly common property and starts to evolve to commonly agreed requirements.
>
>That means we have to be open to any changes, including using 
>better/different fields in protocol headers, choosing a different 
>name, and so on. But the most important thing is to make some 
>practical progress.
>
>
>
>Bob
>
>________________________________________________________________
>Bob Briscoe,               Networks Research Centre, BT Research

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,               Networks Research Centre, BT Research