Subject: ROHC-TCP bis document

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:45:49 -0400

I wanted to notify the TSV area that even though the ROHC
working group is closed, the authors of RFC 4996 had found
the need for changes beyond what errata would be appropriate
for, and wrote up a bis document.  The TSV ADs checked this
out and felt that the best path to process it would be AD-
sponsoring since there isn't a good WG to fit it into at the
moment, and the changes are relatively well constrained.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sandlund-rfc4996bis-02

The authors have nicely described the functional changes in
the bis document as:

   o  The SACK option compression in [RFC4996] assumed that multiple
      SACK blocks within the same option would be in sorted order so
      that the block starts were LSB-encoded from the end of the
      previous block.  This meant that SACK blocks that are not in
      sorted order could be impossible to compress in some cases.
      Therefore, the SACK compression in the formal notation has changed
      and therefore also the bits-on-the-wire.

   o  The ESP NULL header compression has been deprecated due to
      interoperability problems with needing to know information from
      the trailer.  The ESP NULL compression was already removed from
      ROHCv2 [RFC5225] for the same reason and it was considered better
      to remove it from this profile rather than try to fix the
      interoperability issue.

There are some non-functional changes (e.g. clarifications
and FN code corrections) as well, which are also summarized
in the document.

This is felt to be ready to go forward, and should start an
IETF LC soon.  If people are interested in this and have
comments, please use either the TSVAREA list to provide them,
or respond to the IETF LC.

-- 
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems