Subject: current and future hot topics in TSV

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 23:39:05 +0100

TSV ADs, TSV-Area follks,

Apologies, I missed tsvarea this afternoon (preparing slides, and I 
missed my alarm).
I understand the session on current and future hot topics in TSV was 
rather short.
Maybe the two sentences above are related ;)

1. I think the DualQ Coupled AQM is an important development, not just 
cos we've got cool low queuing delay for all traffic out of it, but...

...because it is an "incrementally deployable clean slate" that is 
interesting enough to network operators that it could get deployed.

What I mean is, it's a incrementally deployable queue isolated from 
existing traffic in which we could develop new congestion control 
together with new network behaviour.
Obviously, new host & network capabilities have to be deployable 
independent of the other, but there is a window of deployment 
opportunity for new ideas....

For instance, if a new slow-start needs a new signal from the 
bottleneck, that could be included in the initial spec for the L4S 
queue, so there would be no need to cater for L4S queues without that 
signal. Of course, you would have to cater for non-L4S bottlenecks 
still, but if you were getting signs you were in an L4S bottleneck, this 
could be powerful.

2. The L4S activity itself would involve new TSV standardisation 
activity across 3 WGs (not to mention new implementation activity).
We're planning on outlining this in the L4S Bar Bof on Thu 9am 
(advertised earlier today on this ML).

Slide 4 of our slides about L4S (tomorrow in tsvwg) shows the three 
areas needing standardisation (AQM, TSVWG & TCPM)
http://bobbriscoe.net/presents/1604ietf/1604briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id.pdf

There's also potential for loads of new activity evolving scalable TCP 
(TCP Prague/DCTCP).
I prepared the following table for the TCPM chairs listing all this:
http://bobbriscoe.net/presents/1604ietf/tcp-prague-todo.pdf

Cheers

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/