Subject: TCP Congestion Window Validation

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 15:17:08 -0800

We have submitted a revised version of the internet draft on
"TCP Congestion Window Validation" to the internet-drafts editor.
The revised version, draft-handley-tcp-cwv-01.txt, is available
from 
 "http://www.aciri.org/floyd/papers/draft-handley-tcp-cwv-01.txt"
or from
 "http://www.aciri.org/floyd/papers/draft-handley-tcp-cwv-01.ps".

The only change of substance is an extended explanation 
in the Introduction, in Section 2, of the parameter used for
the increase of ssthresh before reducing the congestion window,
in the two paragraphs that begin as follows:

  When the congestion window is reduced, the slow-start threshold
  ssthresh remains as ``memory" of the recent congestion window.
  ...

and

  To be more precise, if ssthresh is less than 3/4 cwnd when the
  congestion window is reduced after an application-limited period,
  then ssthresh is increased to 3/4 cwnd before the reduction of the
  congestion window.  
  ...

This is to address questions raised at the TSV WG at the last
IETF about the choice of the parameter "3/4 cwnd" for the
setting of ssthresh.  We would like for this to be an informal
last call, before submitting the draft for consideration as an
Experimental RFC.

- Sally