Subject: [Tsvwg] TCP Burst Limit

From: Reiner Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:45:41 +0200

I would like to get people's view on the following idea to see whether it 
is worth coming forward with an appropriate I-D. I.e., I would like to get 
a feeling for how controversial this may become ...

The general idea is not new but had been discussed before, e.g., by Sally 
Floyd and Joe Touch (e.g., Burst-Or-Lose - BOL was one proposal).

Problem:
There are number of situation where TCP will send a burst: stretch-ACKs, 
large 'send' from the application shortly after the connection went idle 
(even with congestion window validation), sender reaches advertized window 
during fast recovery and new ACK arrives, and probably more ...

Idea:
Limit the number of segments that each ACK, DUPACK, and 'send' (from the 
app. after idle) may clock out to MAXBURST wich is suggested to be 4.

Any comments?

///Reiner

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg