Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP Heartbeats and Jitter

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 06:43:03 -0500

Dear all:

After some offline dicussion I have realized another miss in the SCTP
RFC.

The current wording of the spec specifies a 50% random jitter within the
timer
set in a heartbeat. This 50% jitter leads to HUGE variations in the
timer i.e. (RTO + HB.Interval) <- To -> ((RTO + HB.Interval ) + (.5 *
(RTO + HB.Interval)))

This was never the intenetion. The idea is to add a random jitter of
just a second
or so, so that we don't "sync up" the heartbeats. The original wording
(before we
added the HB.Interval) had us using only the RTO. When we added the
HB.Interval
we forgot to fix the Jitter wording...

It should be something like:

"A random jitter of 50% of the current RTO value should be added to the
timer."

(wordsmithing yet required).

I will update the bakeoff draft (after the bakeoff later this month) and
include
this item as well.

Side Note: To those of you emailing me, my DSL provider used northpoint
for the wiring. 
           With northpoint's bankruptcy they have pulled all of
northpoint's equipment
           as of last Thursday :<. This means my web site
(www.sctp.chicago.il.us) and
           my regular email address is offline until my provider gets an
alternate
           wiring provider (2-4 weeks from now) ... real bummer ... So
if you are
           sending to [email-masked] you will get bounced
message :(
           (good news is its time to prune my mailing lists :>) Please
contact me
           at the above address if you need to converse with me. I am
reduced to
           dial in so response will be slower :( And the next release of
the SCTP
           reference implementation (4.0.4) which is READY and real
cool, must wait my
           DSL provider :<

R
-- 
Randall R. Stewart
Systems & Solutions Engineering
Cisco Systems Inc.
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 or 815-477-2127

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg