Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc2960-bis-00.txt: SACK & rcv consumption

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:35:34 PDT

> > The second part makes me wonder, as I do not see other references to
> > SACK generation purely due to the receive application consuming data and
> > the consequent change to rwnd (as opposed to DATA chunk ack.)  Does this
> > happen (and what are the rules) or is there another situation that this
> > second clause refers to?
> > 
> 
> Yes, I think in TCP it does happen. It is a more rare event (I think)
> and not something that happens often...

It's not particularly rare - it can happen any time the receiving application
consumes arriving data in bursts.  The window diminishes as the receiving
kernel queues up data for the app to read, and then expands once the app
reads it.

		Vern

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg