Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] Two viewpoints are really the same

From: Robert Snively <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:42:49 -0700

> As I have continually repeated, enterprise storage environments
> will demand performance values that will encourage network
> grooming, which will drop the undetected bad frame delivery
> numbers by several more orders of magnitude.

Lloyd Wood:

	Build weak endpoint protocols and force people to overengineer their
	networks to compensate?

	And how do you measure undetected bad frame delivery?

Bob Snively:

	Build weak networking structures and force people to suffer with
	innumerable retries, poor performance, and high cost endpoint 
	protocols to compensate?

Obviously, both of these approaches are rhetorical questions and the 
actual result is that you must have both good networking structures to
provide good performance and good transport and end-point protocols
to assure a low probability of undetected failures.  A valid goal is to
make undetected failures rarer than winning the California Lottery and 
being struck by lightning on the same day, while still running at line
speed.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg