Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] sctp error check

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:51:16 +0300

Doug is doing an excellent job of "information transfer" from IPS to tsvwg.
For iSCSI as a potential (future) user of SCTP a good CRC would be of real
benefit.
For modest software implementations all CRCs are equal.

For more sophisticated implementations (those are relatively new) and for
hardware parallel implementation
(not sure that you need one for SCTP) the number of nonzero coefficients in
the polynomial is important (the lesser the better).

You may want also to consider UMAC - a new cryptographic digest - that is a
easy on computing as a CRC(!) but has the added benefit of authenticating
the source (has a key).

Julo

Julian Satran - IBM Research Laboratory in Haifa

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:29:09 -0700

Julian,

If I understand the UMAC scheme, they employ the AES algorithm and create 8
bytes of digest.  Potentially that could replace both the validation tag and
the checksum field to minimize the impact on the present format.  I suspect
that such a change would be interesting, but perhaps too different.

Doug