Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP Interoperability Testing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:53:48 -0500

What is the IETF's view of SCTP as a viable protocol for signaling over
IP?  It appears that the IETF SigTran WG was advocating the use of SCTP
as the standard.  However, in reviewing the IETF website, it looks like
this has been moved to the TSVWG area.

I'm a Architectural Planner with one of the major RBOCs, and we are
comtemplating purchasing a STP next year that will have the capability
to directly connect to IP signaling links (i. e., an A-Link between an
STP and a Signaling Gateway).  We are telling prospective vendors of the
STP product that they need to develop their IP link to use the SCTP
protocol.  Is SCTP still the best alternative, and when will it
officially become the "standard" for IP-based signaling?

Thanks in advance for any info that would help.

--David Finn

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:00:26 -0500

David:

Some comments for you...

> this has been moved to the TSVWG area.
Yes, work related to SCTP has been moved to the TSVWG since SCTP
is not just for signalling but a general purpose transport...

> officially become the "standard" for IP-based signaling?

I am not quite sure what you mean by the "standard" for IP based
signalling.

For SS7 over IP SCTP IS the standard that MUST be supported... at
least if you are going to run the sigtran protocols.... i.e. a 
signalling gateway.

Other types of IP signalling may or may not use SCTP.. for example
diameter allows both SCTP and TCP but I have heard that eventually
they will move to SCTP only..

Other applications have their own signalling mechanisms
which may or may not move from what they are on (usually TCP) to
SCTP... but this is all up to the individual working groups that 
govern those apps...

Hope that helps some..

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)