Subject: [Tsvwg] Section 7.1.9 sctpsocket-02.txt

From: "Kimble Scott (NET/MtView)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:55:47 -0800

Section 7.1.9 Set Primary Address (SCTP_SET_PRIMARY_ADDR)

The spp_assoc_id parameter is not required and serves no purpose.
Applications may "set" and "get" an  SCTP instance's primary address
prior to any association being established.

For example, since IN[6]ADDR_ANY may select any address as the SCTP
instance's primary address, an application may utilize
SCTP_SET_PRIMARY_ADDR with getsockopt(2) to determine which address was
selected as the primary address.  The application may then choose to
utilize SCTP_SET_PRIMARY_ADDR with setsockopt(2) to select a different
address to be the primary address of an SCTP instance.

[email-masked]
mobile 1-650-743-7903

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:51:38 -0600

> prior to any association being established.

How can you set a primary address of a peer if you have no
association. This primary address is the address that you
will send to. It is NOT one of your addresses but it is
a peer's address. Thus you MUST have a association and a
association id.

In the Add-ip draft we do have the concept of requesting the
peer to set its primary address (for you) to a specified value.
Maybe this is what you are thinking of...

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)