Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-03.txt:

From: Jon Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:12:05 -0600

Hi all,

In the following (section 5.3.1.1) sac_state event types are named a
little too generically (e.g. RESTART,  SHUTDOWN_COMPLETE).   It would be
nice if those symbolic names were prefixed (e.g.  SAC_ ) to avoid name
collisions in pre-existing programs wishing to exploit SCTP or or
possibly other library headers.    

The same could be said for (section 5.3.1.2) SCTP_PEER_ADDR_CHANGE
events and likely other places too. 

It's a nit, but easily avoidable from the start.  
  
Best Regards,
Jon Grimm

5.3.1.1 SCTP_ASSOC_CHANGE

    Communication notifications inform the ULP that an SCTP association
    has either begun or ended. The identifier for a new association is
    provided by this notificaion. The notification information has the
    following format:

    struct sctp_assoc_change {
       uint16_t sac_type;
       uint16_t sac_flags;
       uint32_t sac_length;
       uint16_t sac_state;
       uint16_t sac_error;
       uint16_t sac_outbound_streams;
       uint16_t sac_inbound_streams;
       sctp_assoc_t sac_assoc_id;
    };

    sac_type:

    It should be SCTP_ASSOC_CHANGE.

    sac_flags: 16 bits (unsigned integer)

    Currently unused.

    sac_length: 32 bits (unsigned integer)

    This field is the total length of the notification data, including
    the notification header.

    sac_state: 32 bits (signed integer)

    This field holds one of a number of values that communicate the
    event that happened to the association.  They include:

    Event Name           Description
    ----------------     ---------------
    COMMUNICATION_UP     A new association is now ready
                         and data may be exchanged with this
                         peer.

    COMMUNICATION_LOST   The association has failed.  The association
                         is now in the closed state.  If SEND FAILED

Stewart et.al.                                                 [Page 23]

Internet Draft       Sockets API extensions for SCTP        January 2002

                         notifications are turned on, a
COMMUNICATION_LOST
                         is followed by a series of SCTP_SEND_FAILED
                         events, one for each outstanding message.

    RESTART              SCTP has detected that the peer has restarted.

    SHUTDOWN_COMPLETE    The association has gracefully closed.

    CANT_START_ASSOC     The association failed to setup. If non
blocking
                         mode is set and data was sent (in the udp
mode),
                         a CANT_START_ASSOC is followed by a series of
                         SCTP_SEND_FAILED events, one for each
outstanding
                         message.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg