Subject: [Tsvwg] Eifel Detection Algorithm

From: Reiner Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:43:39 +0100

Hi,

we finalized the Eifel detection algorithm for TCP:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-03.txt

We consider the document pretty much done, and would welcome review and 
feedback from the TSV working group.

Main changes since the last revision:

- No more failure cases:
There was recently a discussion on the mailing list about failure cases of 
the Eifel detection algorithm. This had to do with how the TCP receiver 
implements the TCP Timestamps option defined in RFC1323. This has been 
addressed in the current ID, and we now believe that the algorithm is 
reliable and robust.

- Protections against lying TCP receivers:
We outline an optional restricted version of the algorithm that would even 
work in case the TCP receiver tried forging timestamps to fool the TCP 
sender into believing a genuine packet loss was spurious.

- No more SACK support:
The 02 version defined a (less capable) alternative of the algorithm based 
on the TCP SACK option. That part has been taken out.

///Reiner

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg