Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 4041 Requirements

From: Baker Fred <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:43:02 -0800

I note that RFC 4041 declares that discrimination among packets on the 
basis of color is no longer to be tolerated in the network. Does this 
mean that we need to withdraw proposals related to that?

:^)

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:49:15 -0600

At 08:43 AM 4/1/2005 -0800, Baker Fred wrote:
>basis of color is no longer to be tolerated in the network. Does this mean 
>that we need to withdraw proposals related to that?

I think affects optical transport more than anything, as they will have to 
solve for putting all their bandwidth into a single lambda, thus preventing 
preferential treatments based on the color of the lasers.

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:54:36 -0800

James M. Polk wrote:
> I think affects optical transport more than anything, as they will have
> to solve for putting all their bandwidth into a single lambda, thus
> preventing preferential treatments based on the color of the lasers.

Agreed. WDM could be seen as revisiting "separate but equal" ;-)

It might affect military nets, though, too - the whole red/black thing
becomes moot in achromatic networks ;-)

Joe