Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP API Q: sctp_sendmsg and association id

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:41:03 -0400

Hello all

I was curious why was sctp_sendmsg() defined such that a user can't use
sctp association id instead of the destination address and port?

The current definition of sctp_sendmsg() as defined is sctpsocket draft
does not take association id as an argument, while sctp_recvmsg() can
return it as part of sctp_sndrcvinfo() structure.

I found that when writing cross-platform applications, it is easier to
use the library functions instead of system calls as it makes
portability simpler.  However, I found that this useful feature was
missing.

Additionally, sometimes it is much easier to track and use association
ids what sending and receiving messages instead of the address/port
pairs.  Also, on some implementaions, using association ID improves
performance when using a lot (1000+) associations on a single endpoint.

-vlad

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg