Subject: [Tsvwg] Quick-Start: a question about the Rate-Reduced Nonce

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:16:06 -0700

The proposed IP Quick-Start Option includes an eight-bit QS TTL
field and a four-bit Rate Request field, leaving four bits unallocated.
The current draft leaves these four bits reserved, pending feedback
from the working group.  I would like to use these four bits for a
Rate-Reduced Nonce, as described in Section 3.6 of the draft.  The
purpose of the Rate-Reduced Nonce would be to give the sender some
protection from receivers lying about the value of the Rate Request
(i.e., reporting that the original rate request was approved when
in fact the rate request was decremented by routers in the network).

Other possibilities for these four bits would be to leave them
reserved for future use, or to use them in the Rate Request field 
itself.  My own preference would be to use these four bits
for the Rate-Reduced Nonce; some of the Quick-Start co-authors
are more neutral.  Because we haven't discussed the Rate-Reduced Nonce
with the working group yet, we would like to hear feedback
from the working group before including this as part of the
IP Quick-Start Option.

Many thanks.

- Sally
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg