Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:58:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 65
	Date		: 2005-6-3
	
This document specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for
    transport protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an
    allowed sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a
    data transfer.  While Quick-Start is designed to be used by a range
    of transport protocols, in this document we describe its use with
    TCP.  By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate
    its desired sending rate in bytes per second, using a Quick Start
    Request option in the IP header of a TCP packet.  Each router along
    the path could, in turn, either approve the requested rate, reduce
    the requested rate, or indicate that the Quick-Start request is not
    approved.  If the Quick-Start request is not approved, then the
    sender would use the default congestion control mechanisms.  The
    Quick-Start mechanism can determine if there are routers along the
    path that do not understand the Quick-Start Request option, or have
    not agreed to the Quick-Start rate request.  TCP host B communicates
    the final rate request to TCP host A in a transport-level Quick-
    Start Response in an answering TCP packet.  Quick-Start is designed
    to allow connections to use higher sending rates when there is
    significant unused bandwidth along the path, and all of the routers
    along the path support the Quick-Start Request.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg