Subject: [Tsvwg] a new version of the Quick-Start draft

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:15:37 -0700

We have revised the Quick-Start draft, with the new version
now an official tsvwg work item, at
"http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt".

The changes are listed below.

There is one possible substantive change, the addition of a
Rate-Reduced Nonce, and one technical issue, about the Initial
Sequence Number of a retransmitted SYN packet, about which we
would like feedback from the working group.  I will send
separate email messages aboug each of these two issues.

Any feedback is welcome.  Our hope is for this to be able to move
to Experimental shortly.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

     Changes from draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt:
     * A significant amount of general editing.
     * Because the Rate Request field only uses four bits, specified
       that the other four bits are reserved, and talked about a
       possible use for them.  This is discussed in a new section on
       "A Rate-Reduced Nonce?"
     * Specified that a Quick-Start-capable router denying a request
       SHOULD delete the Quick-Start option, and if this is not
       possible, SHOULD zero the QS TTL and the Rate Request fields.
     * Made the following change:  If the Quick-Start Response is lost
       in the network, it is not retransmitted.
     * For PMTUD, in Section 4.6, added a suggestion to send one large
       packet in the initial window for PMTUD, and to send the other
       packets at 576 bytes.
     * Added a paragraph to Section 4.6.3 on retransmitted SYN packets,
       saying they should use an RTO of three seconds and a new ISN
       on the retransmitted SYN packet.
     * Added that "TCP SHOULD NOT use Quick-Start" after an
       application-limited period at this time, in Section 4.1, in
       addition to the old sentence that this "requires further thought
       and investigation".
     * Added an appendix on "Possible Router Algorithm".
     * Moved the section on "Quick-Start with DCCP" to the appendix.
     * Name changed from draft-amit-quick-start-04.txt to
       draft-tsvwg-quickstart-00.txt.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg