Subject: [Tsvwg] H-TCP: TCP congestion control for high bandwidth-delay product paths

From: "Douglas Leith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:57:37 +0100

I'm contacting tsvwg on behalf of the group at the Hamilton Institute that has been studying proposed changes to TCP to improve performance in high bandwidth-delay product paths.  At this stage we have a collection of proposed changes, which we've labelled H-TCP for the moment.  I appreciate that there are many competing ideas in this area and so we are inclined to take a cautious approach - the proposed changes have been stable for the last couple of years and in that time have been fairly well tested by ourselves and also by other groups (e.g. at SLAC and Caltech) and do seem to have some promise. 

What I would like to do is to try to generate a wider discussion of the specific changes we are proposing and to obtain feedback on them.  The tcpm and tsvwg working groups both seem like possible forums for this so as a starting point I've put together a short internet draft that's attached below.  I've tried to keep things quite tightly focussed in the first instance - the document only discusses proposed changes to the AIMD increase rule although we have also done work on changes to the backoff behaviour.  Perhaps I can refer you to www.hamilton.ie/net/ for copies of the technical references and www.hamilton.ie/net/eval/ for an archive of our experimental measurements.

Comments would be appreciated, and if there is enough interest it might make sense to organise a discussion at the upcoming ietf meeting in Paris.

Regards,

Doug

Internet Engineering Task Force                            Doug Leith
INTERNET-DRAFT                                            Robert Shorten
draft-htcp-00a.txt                                                 June 2005
Expires: December 2005

     H-TCP: TCP Congestion Control for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Paths

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions
   of section 3 of RFC 3667.  By submitting this Internet-Draft, each
   author represents that any applicable patent or other IPR claims of
   which he or she is aware have been or will be disclosed, and any of
   which he or she become aware will be disclosed, in accordance with
   RFC 3668.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on December 2005.

Copyright Notice
   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   Our objective in this document is to renew discussion on how the TCP
   congestion control algorithm might best be modified to improve
   performance in high bandwidth-delay product paths.   We focus on
   changes to the additive increase element of the TCP AIMD algorithm.

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

1. Conventions

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC 2119].

2. Introduction

   The current TCP congestion control algorithm is known to perform
   poorly on paths where the TCP cwnd becomes very large.  [Kelly02,
   Flo03, FAST04].  Following congestion, cwnd is halved and only
   increases at a rate of 1 packet per RTT.   As a result flows can take
   an unacceptably long time to recover their window size after a
   congestion event.

   A direct solution is to make the time between congestion events
   smaller. This can be achieved by, for example, adjusting the AIMD
   additive increase rate to be greater for flows with larger cwnd.
   Backward compatibility with legacy TCP can be ensured through the
   inclusion of a separate mode of operation that behaves as legacy TCP
   in the appropriate circumstances.

   The logic that orchestrates switching between the legacy and more
   aggressive modes of operation can clearly be designed several ways.
   One approach is to make the AIMD increase parameter, which we denote
   here by alpha, a function of the flow cwnd.  That is, alpha is
   increased as cwnd increases thereby resulting in an additive increase
   algorithm that directly scales with cwnd. This is precisely the
   approach adopted in the High-Speed TCP [Flo03] proposal.  In addition
   to adjusting the AIMD increase parameter alpha as a function of cwnd,
   this proposal also increases the multiplicative decrease factor beta
   to further increase the aggressiveness of a flow.  (Note. On
   multiplicative decrease, cwnd is updated to beta x cwnd.  We use this
   definition of the backoff factor beta throughout this document).

   While such modifications might appear straightforward, it has been
   shown [Sho04, Yi05] that they often negatively impact the behaviour
   of networks of TCP flows.  High-speed TCP[Flo03] and BIC-TCP [BIC04]
   can exhibit extremely slow convergence following network disturbances
   such as the start-up of new flows; Scalable-TCP [Kelly02] is a
   multiplicative-increase multiplicative-decrease strategy and as such
   it is known that it may fail to converge to fairness in drop-tail
   networks [Jain89].

   Our objective in this document is to therefore to renew discussion on
   how the TCP congestion control algorithm might best be modified to
   improve performance when cwnd is large.  Large cwnds are associated
   with high bandwidth-delay product (BDP) paths and with the ongoing

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   increase in network speeds, high BDP paths are becoming increasingly
   prevalent.  In this document we focus on changes to the additive
   increase element of the TCP AIMD algorithm (we leave discussion of
   modifications to the backoff factor to a later date).  In particular,
   we present proposed changes to the additive increase algorithm that
   we argue are promising enough (based on the outcome of experimental
   tests carried out by a number of groups [Hegde04, Yi05, Cot05]) to
   warrant further discussion within the wider networking community.

   Scope
   -----
   Our focus in this document is on the behaviour of long-lived flows
   and so we do not consider changes to slow-start.  We also seek to
   make the smallest possible changes to the existing TCP congestion
   control algorithm, and so confine consideration to the AIMD packet-
   loss based paradigm.  Use of jumbo packets is viewed as complementary
   to the changes proposed here.  We confine consideration to drop-tail
   queues as this is the prevalent queueing discipline in the current
   Internet and leave discussion of active queueing to a later date.

3.  Additive Increase for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Paths

   The AIMD algorithm used in TCP has two key features that underpin its
   convergence behaviour.  Firstly, flows with the same RTT increase
   their cwnd at the same rate.  Secondly, the backoff mechanism is
   multiplicative. Hence, following congestion, flows with a larger cwnd
   will reduce their cwnd by more, in absolute terms, than flows with a
   smaller cwnd. Thus larger flows yield more bandwidth than smaller
   flows. Since flows increase cwnd at the same rate, flows with smaller
   cwnd thereby gain a certain advantage over flows with larger cwnd,
   and it is this that enables flows with small cwnd to seize bandwidth
   from flows with large cwnd until balance is reached in the network.

   It follows from this observation that modifying the AIMD backoff
   factor can have a very significant impact on network responsiveness,
   and this is discussed in more detail elsewhere [Sho04, Sho05].  In
   this document we do not consider changes to the backoff factor.
   Instead, we confine attention to modifications to the AIMD increase
   rate with the aim of improving performance in high bandwidth-delay
   product paths.  Provided we retain appropriate symmetry between the
   increase rates of competing flows, modifying the increase rate
   affects the interval between congestion events but otherwise does not
   affect the responsiveness of TCP.

   We therefore propose generalising the AIMD algorithm by allowing the
   increase parameter alpha to vary as a function of the elapsed time
   since the last congestion event. Specifically, if we let Delta denote

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   the time in seconds that has elapsed since the last congestion event
   experienced by a flow, we adjust the AIMD increase parameter
   according to some function which we denote f_alpha(Delta).  To
   provide backward compatibility with legacy TCP flows we consider
   adjusting the increase parameter as follows

   if Delta <= Delta_L
      alpha  = 1
   else
      alpha = f_alpha(Delta)

   where Delta_L is the threshold for switching from standard/legacy
   operation to the new increase function.  The choice of function
   f_alpha is governed by the rate at which bandwidth should be
   acquired.

   We can immediately make the observation that, because the adjustment
   is based on time since the last backoff, a degree of symmetry is
   maintained between competing network flows and in particular flows
   already in high speed mode are not awarded a long-term advantage over
   newer flows. Specifically, when packet drops are synchronised Delta
   is necessarily the same for all flows. Hence all flows share
   identical increase profiles and symmetry is maintained [Sho04].  When
   drops are not synchronised, Delta is the same *on average* for all
   flows provided flows share the same probability of backing off on
   congestion. Hence, symmetry is still maintained, albeit in an average
   sense.

   We select the increase function f_alpha such that the duration of the
   congestion epochs remains reasonably small as the bandwidth-delay
   product on a path increases.  Below, we discuss one choice of
   increase function that yields convergence times that seem reasonable.
   However, the precise responsiveness requirement in future networks is
   currently not well defined and so we leave this, and the associated
   specific choice of increase function, as a question for further
   debate.

4. Choice of Increase Function

   We consider, as an illustrative example, use of the increase function

   f_alpha(Delta) = 1 + 10(Delta-Delta_L)+0.5(Delta-Delta_L)^2   (1)

   and Delta_L=1 second.  This choice yields the congestion epoch
   duration for a single flow, as a function of congestion window size,
   shown in Table 1.

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   -------------------------------------
   Congestion          Congestion
   window              epoch
   (packets)           duration (s)
   -------------------------------------
   100                   1.1
   1000                 3.1
   2000                 4.3
   5000                 6.6
   10000               9.2
   20000               12.8
   50000               19.4
   -------------------------------------
   Table 1 - Congestion epoch duration vs cwnd size for an RTT of 100ms

4.1 RTT unfairness
   It follows from the introductory discussion that (when RTT scaling is
   not used) the level of unfairness between flows with different RTT's
   is similar to that with the current AIMD algorithm.  This behaviour
   is confirmed in experimental and simulation tests [HTCP04, Yi05].

4.2 Friendliness

   The mean AIMD increase parameter is shown in Table 2 for a range of
   bandwidth-delay products. This an indication of the number of
   standard TCP flows (neglecting statistical multiplexing of backoffs)
   whose aggregate would be equivalent to a flow using increase function
   (1).  That is, an indication of friendliness and also of the packet
   drop overhead associated with the AIMD probing action.

   ------------------------------------------------------------------
   Congestion          Effective number of standard TCP flows
     window
   (packets)      10ms RTT       100ms RTT      250ms RTT
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
   10                  1                  1                      1
   100                1                  2                      5
   1000              3                 12                     22
   2000              4                 19                     32
   5000              8                 33                     55
   10000            12               49                     82
   20000            19               72                    123
   50000            32               122                  208
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
   Table 2 - Mean increase parameter (packets/RTT) vs cwnd size

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

4.3 Responsiveness

   Responsiveness is qualitatively similar to that of the current AIMD
   congestion control algorithm, i.e. the convergence time of TCP flows
   using an AIMD backoff factor of 0.5 is approximately 4 congestion
   epochs, although the congestion epoch duration is significantly
   shorter on high bandwidth-delay product paths (see Table 1).

4.4 Efficiency

   Link utilisation depends on queue provisioning in a similar manner to
   the current TCP congestion control algorithm.  That is, for a single
   flow (or multiple synchronised flows) 100% link utilisation requires
   that the queue be sized as the bandwidth-delay product.  Simulation
   and experimental tests indicate that statistical multiplexing between
   unsynchronised flows yields similar efficiency gains to standard TCP.

5. RTT Scaling

   We note that the parameter alpha determines the AIMD increase rate in
   packets per RTT.  Hence, flows with the same RTT have the same
   increase rate in packets per second, but flows with different RTTs
   have different increase rate in packets per second.  It is this that
   primarily leads to unfairness between flows with different RTTs.
   Removing RTT unfairness is not one of our objectives here.   However,
   we note that an AIMD flow generates roughly alpha packet drops per
   RTT as a result of its probing action.  Hence, flows with short RTT
   are more aggressive than flows with long RTT in the sense that they
   generate more packet drops over intervals of time measured in
   seconds.  We can reduce the aggressiveness of short RTT flows by
   scaling the increase parameter alpha with RTT.  This need not
   compromise the responsiveness of TCP flows.  As noted in [Sh04, Sh05,
   HTCP04], the convergence time of TCP flows using an AIMD backoff
   factor of 0.5 is approximately 4 congestion epochs.   Scaling alpha
   by RTT leads to scaling of the congestion epoch duration to become
   effectively the same for both short and long RTT flows.  The
   convergence time is therefore also scaled to be effectively the same
   for both short and long RTT flows.

   Such RTT scaling can be readily implemented by modifying the increase
   rule to

   if Delta <= Delta_L
      alpha  = 1
   else
      alpha = K x f_alpha(Delta)

   where K = RTT/RTT_ref.  Note that RTT scaling is not applied in low-

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   speed conditions in order to maintain backward compatibility with
   legacy TCP flows (ensuring adequate backward compatibility presented
   a major difficulty in previous studies on the use of RTT scaling).
   Note also that the scaling is proportional to RTT rather than RTT^2,
   as we do not seek to achieve throughput fairness here.  RTT_ref is
   the reference RTT for which f_alpha is designed to ensure acceptable
   congestion epoch durations.

6. Security Considerations

   Security implications are not discussed in this document.

7. Acknowledgements

   This work was supported by Science Foundation Ireland grants
   00/PI.1/C067 and 04/IN3/I460.

Informative References

   [Jain89] D.M. Chiu, R. Jain, Analysis of the increase and decrease
   algorithms for congestion avoidance in computer networks. Computer
   Networks and ISDN Systems, 1989.

   [Flo03] S.Floyd, HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows .  Sally
   Floyd. IETF RFC 3649, Experimental, Dec 2003.

   [FAST04] C. Jin, D.X.  Wei, S,H. Low, {FAST TCP}: motivation,
   architecture, algorithms, performance. Proc IEEE INFOCOM 2004.

   [Kelly02] T. Kelly, On engineering a stable and scalable {TCP}
   variant, Cambridge University Engineering Department Technical Report
   CUED/F-INFENG/TR.435, June 2002.

   [HTCP04] D.J.Leith, R.N.Shorten, {H-TCP} Protocol for High-Speed
   Long-Distance Networks.  Proc. 2nd Workshop on Protocols for Fast
   Long Distance Networks.  Argonne, USA, 2004.
   http://www.hamilton.ie/net/htcp3.pdf

   [BIC04] L. Xu, K. Harfoush, I. Rhee, Binary Increase Congestion
   Control for Fast Long-Distance Networks. Proc. INFOCOM 2004.

   [Sho04] R.N.Shorten, D.J.Leith,J.Foy, R.Kilduff, Analysis and design
   of congestion control in synchronised communication networks.
   Automatica, 2004. http://www.hamilton.ie/net/synchronised.pdf

   [Sho05] R.N.Shorten, F. Wirth,F., D.J. Leith, A positive systems
   model of TCP-like congestion control: Asymptotic results.
   http://www.hamilton.ie/net/unsynchronised_final.pdf

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   [Yi05] Y.Li, D.J.Leith, R.N.Shorten, Experimental evaluation of TCP
   protocols of high-speed networks.  http://www.hamilton.ie/net/eval/

   [Cot05] R.L. Cottrell, S. Ansari, P. Khandpur, R. Gupta, R. Hughes-
   Jones, M. Chen, L. MacIntosh, F. Leers, Characterization and
   Evaluation of TCP and UDP-Based Transport On Real Networks. . Proc.
   3rd Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-distance Networks, Lyon,
   France, 2005.

   [Hegde04] S. Hegde, D. Lapsley, B. Wydrowski, J. Lindheim, D.Wei, C.
   Jin, S. Low, H. Newman, FAST TCP in High Speed Networks: An
   Experimental Study. Proc. GridNets, San Jose, 2004.

Authors  Addresses:

   Doug Leith
   Hamilton Institute
   National University of Ireland Maynooth
   Maynooth, Co. Kildare
   Ireland
   [email-masked]

   Robert Shorten
   Hamilton Institute
   National University of Ireland Maynooth
   Maynooth, Co. Kildare
   Ireland
   [email-masked]

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society 2005.  This document is subject to
   the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and except
   as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 8]

INTERNET-DRAFT                  June 2005         Expires: December 2005

   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at ietf-
   [email-masked].

Leith & Shorten                                                 [Page 9]

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg