Subject: [Tsvwg] MSG_NOTIFICATION flag

From: "Ramaiah, Chaitra M (STSD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:08:50 +0530

Hi All,

  There is this quote in the SCTP socket API draft.

   A recvmsg() call will return only one notification at a time.  Just
   as when reading normal data, it may return part of a notification if
   the msg_iov buffer is not large enough.  If a single read is not
   sufficient, msg_flags will have MSG_EOR clear.  The user MUST finish
   reading the notification before subsequent data can arrive.

My question is if the app has passed a buffer which is not enough to
read the
complete notification in one recvmsg() operation, I understand that
successive
recvmsg()s will complete reading the full notification and the last
recvmsg() will have MSG_EOR
set in msg_flags. This is true for both data and notification.

My doubt is should we return MSG_NOTIFICATION to the app for each
partial read of the notification
or should this flag be returned only in the last recvmsg() along with
MSG_EOR?

Thanks,
Chaitra

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:55:31 +0100

Comment in-line.

Best regards
Michael

> or should this flag be returned only in the last recvmsg() along with
I think MSG_NOTIFICATION must be given for each partial read.

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:43:56 -0500

> I think MSG_NOTIFICATION must be given for each partial read.

I agree :-)

R

-- 
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)