Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 4782 on Quick-Start for TCP and IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:48:40 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4782

        Title:      Quick-Start for TCP and IP 
        Author:     S. Floyd, M. Allman,
                    A. Jain, P. Sarolahti
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       January 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      82
        Characters: 214489
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4782.txt

This document specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for
transport protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an
allowed sending rate at the start and, at times, in the middle of a
data transfer (e.g., after an idle period).  While Quick-Start is
designed to be used by a range of transport protocols, in this
document we only specify its use with TCP.  Quick-Start is designed
to allow connections to use higher sending rates when there is
significant unused bandwidth along the path, and the sender and all
of the routers along the path approve the Quick-Start Request.

This document describes many paths where Quick-Start Requests would
not be approved.  These paths include all paths containing routers,
IP tunnels, MPLS paths, and the like that do not support Quick-
Start.  These paths also include paths with routers or middleboxes
that drop packets containing IP options.  Quick-Start Requests could
be difficult to approve over paths that include multi-access layer-
two networks.  This document also describes environments where the
Quick-Start process could fail with false positives, with the sender
incorrectly assuming that the Quick-Start Request had been approved
by all of the routers along the path.  As a result of these
concerns, and as a result of the difficulties and seeming absence of
motivation for routers, such as core routers to deploy Quick-Start,
Quick-Start is being proposed as a mechanism that could be of use in
controlled environments, and not as a mechanism that would be
intended or appropriate for ubiquitous deployment in the global
Internet.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group
Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet 
community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. 
Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution 
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...