Subject: [Tsvwg] Need info about connect behavior at SCTP when backlog limit is reached

From: "Ramaiah, Chaitra M (STSD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:26:32 +0530

Hi All,

  I have a question regarding how connect should behave for SCTP sockets
when the listen backlog is reached. To elaborate, the server opens a 1-1
SCTP socket, binds and listens with a backlog of 1 and does not do an
accept. The client opens two sockets and connects to the server for the
two sockets. The first connect should go through fine as there is room
for one connection indication. What should happen when we issue the
second connect? For TCP the second connect will just timeout and connect
will return ETIMEDOUT after 75 seconds. What should be the behavior for
SCTP? Should it be on par with TCP and just ignore the request or should
it reply back with ABORT for the INIT? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Chaitra

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:08:03 -0600

Ramaiah,,

For TCP it is in fact implementation dependent, as it should be for SCTP.

--brian

Ramaiah, Chaitra M (STSD) wrote:                (Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:26:32)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:47:50 +0200

Hi Chaitra,

when receiving a COOKIE-ECHO you can either send back an ABORT
to indicate that you are out of resources or you can hope that
this is only a temporary issue and just drop the COOKIE-ECHO in
the hope that when the retransmission of the COOKIE-ECHO arrives
the situation has changed.

In response to the INIT chunk I would always return an INIT-ACK.

There is no need to run a timer on the server side.

Best regards
Michael