Subject: SCTP socket API implementations

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:42:45 +0100

Dear all,

I just wanted to state that
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket
was used by the FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris developers to make
sure that programs using SCTP can be written in a portable way.
These developers are represented by coauthors, problems coming
up during the implementation resulted in text improvements.
This is done for a long time, almost since the beginning of
the writing of the document.

The ID was also used for the SCTP kernel implementations
in HP-UX and AIX.

The FreeBSD implementation has been ported to Windows and Mac OS X.
However, these are not supported by the vendors of the operating
system but also support the Socket API.

A portable userland implementation of the socket API is
available which uses a portable SCTP userland implementation.

There is substantial implementation experience, however not every
feature is currently implemented by every implementation. The
latest additions, for example, have not been incorporated. Most
of the deprecated ones are implemented and since they are implemented
as documented, we kept the descriptions in the ID.

Best regards
Michael