Subject: Upcoming rev of the ICMP SQ I-D (draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:55:13 -0300

Folks,

I'm planning to publish a revision of the aforementioned I-D, and the
only remaining issue to address is the one that Anantha had raised.

I've tried to get in touch with Anantha, but it seems he has been
unreachable for the past few weeks. -- hence I'm sending this directly
to the list.

REgarding the rationale for deprecating ICMP SQs, I've thought about
this one a little bit, and rather than getting into the reasons for
which almost 20 years ago it was decided that ICMP SQ needed to be
deprecated, I think a more sensible approach would be the following:

* Note that ICMP SQ was deprecated almost 20 years ago, and include a
reference for the documentation of the reasons (rather that including
the reasons in this I-D)

* Note that reaction to ICMP SQs should also be deprecated, because:
 - ICMP SQ has already been formally deprecated for routers
 - Virtually all popular host implementations have removed support for
ICMP SQ at least since 2005 or so.
 - Widespread deployment of ICMP filtering would make it impossible to
rely on ICMP for congestion control
 - the IETF has moved away from ICMP SQ for congestion-control -- e.g.,
development of ECN. -- as another data point, there's no ICMP SQ
specified for IPv6.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: "Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 08:44:06 -0700

Fernando,
    I just replied to your email which you sent directly to me. Your
proposal below sounds good. 

My point was that:- not all reasons pointed out by the reference makes
sense and some of them sounds dubious to me, just my opinion. ( I had
already mentioned why I think so)

That said, I re-iterate :-  I have no objections to the current document
and the proposal below. I am done with the review.

-Anantha

PS:- my list problems ( I am unable to get emails sent to the tsvwg
list) is still not been addressed! Anyways, I have re-subscribed to the
list and I hope is is all fine now..

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Fernando Gont [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Fernando Gont
> Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:55 AM
> To: tsvwg
> Cc: Anantha Ramaiah (ananth)
> Subject: Upcoming rev of the ICMP SQ I-D (draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-
> quench)
> 
> Folks,
>

---

From: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 20:04:07 -0400

Fernando,

Are you planning to add a "Deprecated" parenthetical qualifier to the IANA icmp-parameters entry an a pointer to this I-D? Perhaps you did it already in a previous rev, in which case sorry, or perhaps it's overkill? I'd add it though in IANA Considerations. 

Thanks,

Thumb typed by Carlos Pignataro.

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:17:35 -0300

Hi, Carlos,

On 05/28/2011 09:04 PM, Carlos Pignataro (cpignata) wrote:

> Are you planning to add a "Deprecated" parenthetical qualifier to the
> IANA icmp-parameters entry an a pointer to this I-D? 

Yes. Sorry that I didn't mention this one (that you had already raised
off-list).

I think thought of this one as a no brainer (i.e., a nit), and was
meaning to post a note about this one after addressing Anantha's comment.

Thanks!

Best regards,