Subject: BCP 165, RFC 6335 on Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:12:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 165        
        RFC 6335

        Title:      Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) 
                    Procedures for the Management of the 
                    Service Name and Transport Protocol Port 
                    Number Registry 
        Author:     M. Cotton, L. Eggert,
                    J. Touch, M. Westerlund,
                    S. Cheshire
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 79088
        Updates:    RFC2780, RFC2782, RFC3828, RFC4340, RFC4960, RFC5595
        See Also:   BCP0165

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6335.txt

This document defines the procedures that the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority (IANA) uses when handling assignment and other
requests related to the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port
Number registry.  It also discusses the rationale and principles
behind these procedures and how they facilitate the long-term
sustainability of the registry.

This document updates IANA's procedures by obsoleting the previous
UDP and TCP port assignment procedures defined in Sections 8 and 9.1
of the IANA Allocation Guidelines, and it updates the IANA service
name and port assignment procedures for UDP-Lite, the Datagram
Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP), and the Stream Control
Transmission Protocol (SCTP).  It also updates the DNS SRV
specification to clarify what a service name is and how it is
registered.  This memo documents an Internet Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC