Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:11:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sockets API Extensions for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
	Author(s)       : Randall R. Stewart
                          Michael Tuexen
                          Kacheong Poon
                          Peter Lei
                          Vladislav Yasevich
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt
	Pages           : 113
	Date            : 2011-10-10

   This document describes a mapping of the Stream Control Transmission
   Protocol (SCTP) into a sockets API.  The benefits of this mapping
   include compatibility for TCP applications, access to new SCTP
   features and a consolidated error and event notification scheme.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:32:39 +0200

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt
Dear all,

the changes are:
* a statement regarding deprecated socket API elements.
  This addresses a Discuss of Adrian Farrel and a comment of Robert Sparks.
* a normative reference to the most recent POSIX document has been added.
  This addresses a Comment of Peter Saint-Andre and Stephen Farrell.
* a note has been added that DTLS/SCTP can be implemented using this API.
  This addresses a Comment of Stephen Farrell.
* a copyright note has been added to the source code.
  This addresses a Discuss of Sean Turner.
* editorial fixes:
  - setsockopts last argument has the type socklen_t, not size_t.
  - the DSCP field uses the 6 most significant bits, not the least ones.
  - names in the Acks section are now in alphabetical order.

Not addressed:
* Change reference from RFC 1644 to RFC 6247. (Discuss of Adrian Farrel)
  Reason: We want to specifically refer to T/TCP, whereas RFC 6247 moves
  a bunch of documents to the historic state, RFC 1644 being one of them.
* Add a generic sentence about implementation security (buffer overruns,
  CVE). (Discuss of Stephen Farrell)
  Reason: This seems to be very generic and we can't provide a pointer for
  a list of SCTP implementation bugs. On the other hand it is clear that
  implementations contain bugs...

I hope this addresses the issues brought up during the IESG discussion in
an appropriate way. If not, please let me know. Thanks a lot to the IESG
for reviewing the document and providing comments.

Best regards
Michael