Subject: TSVWG meeting minutes from IETF-82 (TAIPEI)

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:52:05 +0000

The Chairs have checked the notes and audio record, and propose the 
minutes below for the Taipei TSVWG meeting.

Does anyone know of any corrections to these notes, or are they 
acceptable to the group?

Best wishes

James and Gorry
(TSVWG Co-Chairs)

------

TSVWG Meeting Notes
IETF 82 (TAIPEI)
Meeting Chair: Wes Eddy (TSV AD).
WG Chairs: Gorry Fairhurst & James Polk

Agenda

* Working Group Drafts

   Jukka Manner
   draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest

* Non-Working Group Drafts

   Ken Carlberg - Reactions to Signaling from ECN Support for RTP/RTCP
   draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions-00

   Joe Touch - Recommendations for Transport Port Uses
   draft-touch-tsvwg-port-use

   Joe Touch - Shared Use of Experimental TCP Options
   draft-touch-tcpm-experimental-options-00

   Michio Honda - Towards Extending the TCP Option Space

---
draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest - Jukka Manner

Document received feedback and has been updated. The authors
would like to move to WGLC.

---
draft-touch-tsvwg-port-use

A quick hum was taken on whether or not this document should be
adopted as a TSVWG working group document.  The consensus of the
room seemed to be YES, though this needs to be confirmed on the
mailing list.

Mirja Kuehlewind: Who is the document addressed to?
Joe: Anybody who wishes to apply for a port number or use a
port number in a new way.
Brian Carpenter: I noted you mentioned deprecation of the
system/user port boundary. This seems like a disjunct issue.
Joe: I do not like too many documents, we should check with
the WG on the best way forward.

---
draft-carlberg-tsvwg-ecn-reactions-00

This draft should be taken to the mailing list for discussion;
not many people in the meeting room had read it yet, though
there was interest in continuing to discuss the topic.

Colin Perkins noted related work on RTCweb and a related
AVT draft to communicate feedback information.

It is good to note the options, but we should be careful
about developing new methods.

Bob Briscoe (via jabber): Does it also include loss?
Ken: Not at the moment, comments welcome.

---
draft-touch-tcpm-experimental-options-00

Joe presented this document in TSVWG since the problem of
supporting "experiments" includes other topics in addition
to the TCPM options kind numbers that the document currently
focuses on.

Scope of this document was discussed to determine whether it
should remain TCP-focused and be handled in TCPM, or whether
it was more appropriate for TSVWG or an even broader group.
It was also suggested that the document should motivate use
of assigned ports.
A hum was taken, though it may have been confusing; consensus
seems to be to handle this in TCPM focused on the options
issue.

---
Michio Honda gave a teaser presentation on his work testing the
use of TCP options through middleboxes that will be presented
at the IRTF open session.

----

Notes updated by G Fairhurst from the audio archive and circulated
to mailing list 19-Jan-2012.