Subject: [tsvwg] [Errata Verified] RFC3390 (4569)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:05:39 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC3390,
"Increasing TCP's Initial Window". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3390&eid=4569

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-12-22
Verified by: Martin Stiemerling (IESG)

Section: 8.1

Original Text
-------------
   A second set of experiments explored TCP performance over dialup
   modem links.  In experiments over a 28.8 bps dialup channel [All97a,
   AHO98], a four-segment initial window decreased the transfer time of
   a 16KB file by roughly 10%, with no accompanying increase in the drop
   rate.  A simulation study [RFC2416] investigated the effects of using
   a larger initial window on a host connected by a slow modem link and
   a router with a 3 packet buffer.  The study concluded that for the
   scenario investigated, the use of larger initial windows was not
   harmful to TCP performance.

Corrected Text
--------------
   A second set of experiments explored TCP performance over dialup
   modem links.  In experiments over a 28.8 kbps dialup channel [All97a,
   AHO98], a four-segment initial window decreased the transfer time of
   a 16KB file by roughly 10%, with no accompanying increase in the drop
   rate.  A simulation study [RFC2416] investigated the effects of using
   a larger initial window on a host connected by a slow modem link and
   a router with a 3 packet buffer.  The study concluded that for the
   scenario investigated, the use of larger initial windows was not
   harmful to TCP performance.

Notes
-----
Error bit rate - kbps instead of bps.

--------------------------------------
RFC3390 (draft-ietf-tsvwg-initwin-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Increasing TCP's Initial Window
Publication Date    : October 2002
Author(s)           : M. Allman, S. Floyd, C. Partridge
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Area Working Group
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG