Subject: [tsvwg] ECN support for UDP

From: Ingemar Johansson S <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:36:32 +0000

Hi

The lack of support for ECN over UDP is every once in a while brought up as
an argument against ECN. 

As there are (I believe) representatives for major OS vendors and also
kernel experts on this list, the humble question is : 

What are the possible ways to get access to the ECN bits from an UDP socket
for operative systems such as MS Windows, iOS, Linux, FreeBSD… Can these
methods be done from user space or do they require that e.g. the device is
rooted ?. 

Piers O´Hanlon compiled the summary in the link below, I wonder if something
has happened recently

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rmcat/rRKF3PVmFL2zHCp1bOPKimqSsbM

/Ingemar

==================================

Ingemar Johansson  M.Sc. 

Master Researcher

Ericsson AB

Wireless Access Networks

Labratoriegränd 11

971 28, Luleå, Sweden

Phone +46-1071 43042

SMS/MMS +46-73 078 3289

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

www.ericsson.com

           This report, by it´s very length, 

 defends itself against the risk of being read

                       Winston Churchill

==================================

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:32:50 -0700

> methods be done from user space or do they require that e.g. the device is
The ECN bits and be set and received as described in the the document
for at least Linux and presumably FreeBSD. These are not privileged
operations. I don't think anything has changed recently for these.

Tom

> [email-masked]
>
> www.ericsson.com
>
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:15:01 +0100

Although it's not an immediate solution... my UDP document to the TAPS WG
will describe ECN support for UDP as a stanadrd transport API function.

Gorry

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:34:53 +0200

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 21:32, Tom Herbert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
FreeBSD supports it.

Best regards
Michael