Subject: [tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'UDP Usage Guidelines' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 17:39:21 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'UDP Usage Guidelines'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-19.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/

Technical Summary

   The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
   transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   applications, tunnels and other protocols that use UDP.  Congestion
   control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document also
   provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
   reliability, checksums, middlebox traversal, the use of ECN, DSCPs,
   and ports.

   Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
   Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
   an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
   collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
   traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
   depending on how they use UDP.

   Some guidance is also applicable to the design of other protocols
   (e.g., protocols layered directly on IP or via IP-based tunnels),
   especially when these protocols do not themselves provide congestion
   control.

   This document obsoletes RFC5405 and adds guidelines for multicast UDP
   usage.

Working Group Summary

    The Transport Area WG (TSVWG) is a collection of people with varied
    interests that don't individually justify their own working groups.

   This draft is supported by the portion of the TSVWG working group that
   is familiar with and interested in UDP and congestion control.  The
   draft has received significant review and critique from a number of
   WG members and has undergone significant modification as a result.  A
   significant area of expansion over RFC 5405 is the addition of multicast
   guidelines; this UDP multicast guideline work began in a separate draft
   that was merged into this draft by the WG so that protocol designers
   would have one place to look for UDP guidelines.

   Recent discussion in the WG has focused on issues related to the
   increasing use of UDP to encapsulate other protocols; an important
   outcome is the addition of Section 3.6 on Limited Applicability
   and Controlled Environments where aspects such as equipment robustness
   and operator traffic management may substitute for protocol features
   (e.g., checksums, congestion management) that are necessary in
   unrestricted environments such as the Internet in general.  This
   draft incorporates guidelines based on lessons learned from 
   MPLS/UDP (RFC 7510), GRE/UDP (recent TSVWG WG Last Call) and the
   routing area encapsulation design team's work (much broader draft
   in the RTGWG WG).

Document Quality

   In addition to Last Call reviews by Martin Stiemerling (for TSV-ART), 
   Ronald Bonica (for RTG-DIR), Paul Kyzivat (for Gen-ART),  
   Takeshi Takahashi (for SEC-DIR), and Tim Chown (for OPS-DIR), 
   Mark Allman helped to reconcile protocol timer guidelines in this draft 
   (for UDP) with the protocol timer guidelines from TCPM (for TCP).

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: David Black
   Responsible AD: Spencer Dawkins

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 02:09:13 +0000

Congratulations to the long-serving (suffering?) authors of this draft, and many thanks
to everyone who contributed.   This will be an important RFC for the IETF, e.g., as
there are already multiple drafts at the RFC Editor waiting for this one to arrive.

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: The IESG [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2016 8:39 PM
> To: IETF-Announce
> Cc: Black, David; [email-masked]; Black, David; draft-ietf-tsvwg-
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; The IESG; rfc-editor@rfc-
> editor.org; [email-masked]
> Subject: Protocol Action: 'UDP Usage Guidelines' to Best Current Practice (draft-
> ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-19.txt)
> 
> The IESG contact persons are Mirja K??hlewind and Spencer Dawkins.
>