Subject: [tsvwg] RFC 8311 on Relaxing Restrictions on Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Experimentation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:53:51 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8311

        Title:      Relaxing Restrictions on Explicit Congestion 
                    Notification (ECN) Experimentation 
        Author:     D. Black
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48310
        Updates:    RFC 3168, RFC 4341, RFC 4342, RFC 5622, RFC 6679

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8311

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8311

This memo updates RFC 3168, which specifies Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) as an alternative to packet drops for indicating
network congestion to endpoints.  It relaxes restrictions in RFC 3168
that hinder experimentation towards benefits beyond just removal of
loss.  This memo summarizes the anticipated areas of experimentation
and updates RFC 3168 to enable experimentation in these areas.  An
Experimental RFC in the IETF document stream is required to take
advantage of any of these enabling updates.  In addition, this memo
makes related updates to the ECN specifications for RTP in RFC 6679
and for the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) in RFCs 4341,
4342, and 5622.  This memo also records the conclusion of the ECN
nonce experiment in RFC 3540 and provides the rationale for
reclassification of RFC 3540 from Experimental to Historic; this
reclassification enables new experimental use of the ECT(1)
codepoint.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC