Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 08:42:48 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for Datagram Transports
        Authors         : Godred Fairhurst
                          Tom Jones
                          Michael Tuexen
                          Irene Ruengeler
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-02.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2018-06-07

Abstract:
   This document describes a robust method for Path MTU Discovery
   (PMTUD) for datagram Packetization layers.  The document describes an
   extension to RFC 1191 and RFC 8201, which specifies ICMP-based Path
   MTU Discovery for IPv4 and IPv6. The method allows a Packetization
   Layer (PL), or a datagram application that uses a PL, to discover
   whether a network path can support the current size of datagram and
   to probe a network path with progressively larger packets to find
   whether the maxium packet size can be increased.  This allows a
   sender to determine an appropriate packet size.  This provides
   functionally for datagram transports that is equivalent to the
   Packetization layer PMTUD specification for TCP, specified in
   RFC4821.

   The document also provides implementation notes for incorporating
   Datagram PMTUD into IETF Datagram transports or applications that use
   transports.

   When published, this specification updates RFC4821.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tom Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 19:07:51 +0100

>    When published, this specification updates RFC4821.

Hi all, 

We have pushed a new revision based on comments from the WG.

We have published a new revision of the draft was updated based on feedback
from the WG, and a detailed review by Magnus Westerlund:
		 		
	-  The document updates RFC 4821
	-  Requirements list updated
	-  Added more explicit discussion of a simpler black-hole detection mode
	-  This draft includes reorganisation of the section on IETF protocols
	-  Added more discussion of implementation within an application
	-  Added text on flapping paths
	-  Replaced 'effective MTU' with new term PLPMTU

We plan to publish a new rev(03) reallysoon™ which will add some more
diagrams and a method for discovering black holes.

- [tj]