Subject: [Unbearable] consciousness-raising: unbearable@ and DMARC -- check your junk mailbox :)

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 15:55:16 -0700

this is a consciousness-raising public-service annoucement, just so 
folks are aware...

Several of the active contributors to this mailing list are sending 
email to the list from sender domains that are DMARC-protected. For 
example..

   @google.com (p=reject,pct=100
   @pingidentity.com (p=quarantine; pct=100;)
   @microsoft.com (p=quarantine; pct=30;)

The work MTA I am obliged to use validates DKIM and SPF email msg 
signatures, and respects DMARC. Rather, it *aggressively* respects DMARC 
in that it discards (and "bounces") invalid messages even if the 
associated DMARC policy is only "quarantine" :(

So my work email inbox for unbearable receives only a fraction of the 
email that is presently being sent to the list -- how about yours? Have 
you checked your junk mailbox recently? just a thought...

Because of theses issues, when reading the unbearable@ mailing list, I 
am doing so either via the web archives..

<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/unbearable/current/maillist.html>
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/unbearable/>

..or via my personal non-DMARC-protected domain (which I'm using to send 
this msg so it doesn't end up in folks' spamboxes).

fyi/fwiw, HTH,

=JeffH

ps: may the ARC spec, and implementation thereof, progress apace..
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-00

---

From: "Santosh Chokhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 21:11:58 -0400

The e-mails from Andrei Popov and Brian Campbell go to my SPAM folder.  I
have tried several things on my Outlook client and then realized that SPAM
decision is being made at gmail server.  I have tried few things on the
gmail server and will see if that works.  I doubt it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Unbearable [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =JeffH
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:55 PM
To: IETF TokBind WG <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Unbearable] consciousness-raising: unbearable@ and DMARC -- check
your junk mailbox :)

this is a consciousness-raising public-service annoucement, just so folks
are aware...

Several of the active contributors to this mailing list are sending email to
the list from sender domains that are DMARC-protected. For example..

The work MTA I am obliged to use validates DKIM and SPF email msg
signatures, and respects DMARC. Rather, it *aggressively* respects DMARC in
that it discards (and "bounces") invalid messages even if the associated
DMARC policy is only "quarantine" :(

So my work email inbox for unbearable receives only a fraction of the email
that is presently being sent to the list -- how about yours? Have you
checked your junk mailbox recently? just a thought...

Because of theses issues, when reading the unbearable@ mailing list, I am
doing so either via the web archives..

fyi/fwiw, HTH,

=JeffH

_______________________________________________
Unbearable mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/unbearable

---

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 10:23:16 -0600

I've had success using filters in gmail (for work) to prevent these kinds
of messages from being routed to my Spam folder. The filter looks for
"list:(ietf.org)" and when that matches it "Never send it to Spam". A few
screen shots below. And yes I'm aware of the irony that this message will
end up in many people's spambox.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Santosh Chokhani <[email-masked]
> wrote:

---

From: John Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 19:26:00 -0300

The only known general fix is to reconfigure the list to send from the list address.

I use a non ping email and check my spam folders.   All of Tony’s emails go there and I cant stop it:)

John B.

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 10:11 PM, Santosh Chokhani <[email-masked]> wrote:
>