Subject: [URN] WG Last Call on Biblio Identifiers document
From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:28:01 -0400 (EDT)

The document "Using Existing Bibliographic Identifiers as Uniform Resource 
Names" (ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-biblio-00.txt)
has been out for a number of months, without substantial commentary.

If there is no significant dissent by the end of next week (Aug 29, 1997),
the working group will request that the Area Directors put this forward
as an Informational RFC.

So -- any last comments?

Leslie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you                           
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:57:04 -0600
To: Ryan Moats <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
From: "Ron Daniel Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [URN] Thoughts on the URN meeting and syntax...
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: "Ron Daniel Jr." <[email-masked]>

At 12:54 PM 8/21/97 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:
>I understand second hand (I wasn't in Munich :-(  ) that there was a
>continuation of the discussion about vanity names from the mailing list.
[...]
>Should the result of the decision about namespace names be included
>in the syntax document or not?

NOT!

To begin with, we don't have a clear decision about the issue. Second, it
is not a technical issue of compliance. It is a policy decision. I think the
URN syntax spec needs to keep as far away from this rathole as possible.

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:[email-masked]
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545  

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:54:50 -0500
From: Ryan Moats <[email-masked]>
Organization: InterNIC Directory and Database Services
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [URN] Thoughts on the URN meeting and syntax...
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: Ryan Moats <[email-masked]>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--------------5E2D70906A2F
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I understand second hand (I wasn't in Munich :-(  ) that there was a
continuation of the discussion about vanity names from the mailing list.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I was noticing that the
-05 version of the syntax draft expires in September and that prompted
me to do some editing (for clarity's sake) and ask the following
question:

Should the result of the decision about namespace names be included
in the syntax document or not?  I'm struggling with two competing
issues:

1. Polluting the syntax spec:  does such designations belong there
or not?

2. How strong do we want to make the decision about namespace names
once we finish it.  Do we want a "gentlepeople's agreement" or something
with the force of a standard by embedding it in the syntax spec.

Finally, attached is a first pass at -06 and context diffs between
it and the released -05.

Ryan

--------------5E2D70906A2F
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name="urn.syntax.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="urn.syntax.txt"

Internet-Draft                                                Ryan Moats
draft-ietf-urn-syntax-06.txt                                        AT&T
Expires in six months                                        August 1997

                               URN Syntax
                 Filename: draft-ietf-urn-syntax-06.txt

Status of This Memo

      This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
      documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its
      areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also
      distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

      Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
      months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
      documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
      Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as ``work
      in progress.''

      To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check
      the ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet-
      Drafts Shadow Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net
      (Europe), munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East
      Coast), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers. This draft documents the
   canonical syntax for URNs along with a discussion of both existing
   legacy and new namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and
   transmission.  Based on the canonical syntax, there is a discussion
   of URN equivalence and how to determine it.

1. Introduction

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers and are designed to make
   it easy to map other namespaces (which share the properties of URNs)
   into URN-space. Therefore, the URN syntax provides a means to encode
   character data in a form that can be sent in existing protocols,
   transcribed on most keyboards, etc.

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 1]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

2. Syntax

   All URNs have the following syntax (phrases enclosed in quotes are
   REQUIRED):

                        URN ::= "urn:" NID ":" NSS

   where NID is the Namespace Identifier, and NSS is the Namespace
   Specific String.  The leading "urn:" sequence is case-insensitive.
   The Namespace ID determines the _syntactic_ interpretation of the
   Namespace Specific String (as discussed in [1]).

   RFC 1630 [2] and RFC 1737 [3] each presents additional considerations
   for URN encoding, which have implications as far as limiting syntax.
   On the other hand, the requirement to support existing legacy naming
   systems has the effect of broadening syntax.  Thus, we discuss the
   acceptable syntax for both the Namespace Identifier and the Namespace
   Specific String separately.

2.1 Namespace Identifier Syntax

   The following is the syntax for the Namespace Identifier. To (a) be
   consistent with all potential resolution schemes and (b) not put any
   undue constraints on any potential resolution scheme, the syntax for
   the Namespace Identifier is:

   NID           ::= let-num [ 1*31let-num-hyp ]

   let-num-hyp ::=  letter / number / "-"

   let-num     ::= letter / number

   letter       ::= %x41..5A / %x61..7A

   number      ::= %x30..39

   This is slightly more restrictive that the syntax of [4] (which
   allows the characters "." and "+").  Further, the Namespace
   Identifier is case insensitive, so that "ISBN" and "isbn" refer to
   the same namespace.

   To avoid confusion with the "urn:" identifier, the NID "urn" is
   reserved and MUST NOT be used.

2.2 Namespace Specific String Syntax

   As required by RFC 1737, there is a single canonical representation
   of the NSS portion of an URN.   The format of this single canonical

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 2]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

   form follows:

           NSS         ::= 1*URN_chars

           URN_chars   ::= trans / ("%" hex hex)

           trans       ::= letter / number / other / reserved

           hex         ::= number / %x41..46 / %x61..66

           other       ::= "(" / ")" / "+" / "," / "-" / "." /
                           ":" / "=" / "@" / ";" / "$" / "_" /
                           "!" / "*" / "'"

   Depending on the rules governing a namespace, valid identifiers in a
   namespace might contain characters that are not members of the URN
   character set above (URN_chars).  Such strings MUST be translated
   into canonical NSS format before using them as protocol elements or
   otherwise passing them on to other applications. Translation occurs
   by encoding each character outside the URN character set as a
   sequence of one to six octets using normalized UTF8 [5], and the
   encoding of each of those octets as "%" followed by two characters
   from the hex character set above. The two characters give the
   hexadecimal representation of that octet.

2.3 Reserved characters

   The remaining character set left to be discussed above is the
   reserved character set, which contains various characters reserved
   from normal use.  The reserved character set follows, with a
   discussion on the specifics of why each character is in this set.

   The reserved character set is:

   reserved    ::= '%" / "/" / "?" / "#"

2.3.1 The "%" character

   The "%" character is RESERVED in the URN syntax for introducing the
   escape sequence for an octet.  Literal use of the "%" character in a
   namespace MUST be encoded using "%25" in URNs for that namespace.
   Two characters from the <hex> character set MUST follow the presence
   of an "%" character in an URN.

   Namespaces MAY designate one or more characters from the URN
   character set as having special meaning for that namespace.  If the
   namespace also uses that character in a literal sense as well, the
   character used in a literal sense MUST be encoded with "%" followed

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 3]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

   by the hexadecimal representation of that octet.  Further, a
   character MUST NOT be "%"-encoded if the character is not a reserved
   character.  Therefore, the process of registering a namespace
   identifier shall include publication of a definition of which
   characters have a special meaning to that namespace.

2.3.2 The other reserved characters

   RFC 1630 [2] reserves the characters "/", "?", and "#" for particular
   purposes. The URN-WG has not yet debated the applicability and
   precise semantics of those purposes as applied to URNs. Therefore,
   these characters are RESERVED for future developments.  Namespace
   developers SHOULD NOT use these characters in unencoded form, but
   rather use the appropriate %-encoding for each character.

2.4 Excluded characters

   The following list is included only for the sake of completeness.
   Any octets/characters on this list are explicitly NOT part of the URN
   character set, and if used in an URN, MUST be %encoded:

           excluded ::= octets 1-32 (1-20 hex) / "\" / """ /
                        "&" / "<" / ">" / "[" / "]" / "^" /
                        "`" / "{" / "|" / "}" / "~" /
                        octets 127-255 (7F-FF hex)

   In addition, octet 0 (0 hex) should NEVER be used, in either
   unencoded or %-encoded form.

   An URN ends when an octet/character from the excluded character set
   (excluded) is encountered.  The character from the excluded character
   set is NOT part of the URN.

3. Support of existing legacy naming systems and new naming systems

   Any namespace (existing or newly-devised) that is proposed as an
   URN-namespace and fulfills the criteria of URN-namespaces MUST be
   expressed in this syntax.  If names in these namespaces contain
   characters other than those defined for the URN character set, they
   MUST be translated into canonical form as discussed in section 2.2.

4. URN presentation and transport

   The URN syntax defines the canonical format for URNs and all URN
   transport and interchanges MUST take place in this format. Further,
   all URN-aware applications MUST offer the option of displaying URNs
   in this canonical form to allow for direct transcription (for example
   by cut and paste techniques).  Such applications MAY support display

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 4]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

   of URNs in a more human-friendly form by using a character set that
   includes characters that aren't permitted in URN syntax as defined in
   this RFC.  In other words, they may replace %-notation by characters
   in some extended character set in display to humans.

5. Lexical Equivalence in URNs

   For various purposes such as caching, it's often desirable to
   determine if two URNs are the same without resolving them. The
   general purpose means of doing so is by testing for "lexical
   equivalence" as defined below.

   Two URNs are lexically equivalent if they are octet-by-octet equal
   after the following preprocessing:

           1. normalize the case of the leading "urn:" token
           2. normalize the case of the NID
           3. normalizing the case of any %-escaping

   Note that %-escaping MUST NOT be removed.

   Some namespaces may define additional lexical equivalences, such as
   case-insensitivity of the NSS (or parts thereof).  Additional lexical
   equivalences MUST be documented as part of namespace registration,
   MUST always have the effect of eliminating some of the false
   negatives obtained by the procedure above, and MUST NEVER say that
   two URNs are not equivalent if the procedure above says they are
   equivalent.

6. Examples of lexical equivalence

   The following URN comparisons highlight the lexical equivalence
   definitions:

           1- URN:foo:a123,456
           2- urn:foo:a123,456
           3- urn:FOO:a123,456
           4- urn:foo:A123,456
           5- urn:foo:a123%2C456
           6- URN:FOO:a123%2c456
   URNs 1, 2, and 3 are all lexically equivalent.  URN 4 is not
   lexically equivalent any of the other URNs of the above set.  URNs 5
   and 6 are only lexically equivalent to each other.

7. Functional Equivalence in URNs

   Functional equivalence is determined by practice within a given
   namespace and managed by resolvers for that namespeace. Thus, it is

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 5]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

   beyond the scope of this document.  Namespace registration must
   include guidance on how to determine functional equivalence for that
   namespace, i.e. when two URNs are the identical within a namespace.

8. Security considerations

   This document specifies the syntax for URNs.  While some namespaces
   resolvers may assign special meaning to certain of the characters of
   the Namespace Specific String, any security consideration resulting
   from such assignment are outside the scope of this document.  It is
   strongly recommended that the process of registering a namespace
   identifier include any such considerations.

9. Acknowledgments

   Thanks to various members of the URN working group for comments on
   earlier drafts of this document.  This document is partially
   supported by the National Science Foundation, Cooperative Agreement
   NCR-9218179.

10. References

   Request For Comments (RFC) and Internet Draft documents are available
   from <URL:ftp://ftp.internic.net> and numerous mirror sites.

         [1]         K. R. Sollins, "Requirements and a Framework for
                     URN Resolution Systems," Internet Draft (work in
                     progress),  November 1996.

         [2]         T. Berners-Lee, "Universal Resource Identifiers in
                     WWW," RFC 1630, June 1994.

         [3]         K. Sollins and L. Masinter,  "Functional Require-
                     ments for Uniform Resource Names," RFC 1737.
                     December 1994.

         [4]         T. Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter, "Uniform
                     Resource Locators (URL)," Internet Draft (work in
                     progress),  December 1996.

         [5]         Appendix A.2 of The Unicode Consortium, "The
                     Unicode Standard, Version 2.0", Addison-Wesley
                     Developers Press, 1996.  ISBN 0-201-48345-9.

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 6]

INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

11. Editor's address

   Ryan Moats
   AT&T
   15621 Drexel Circle
   Omaha, NE 68135-2358
   USA

   Phone:  +1 402 894-9456
   EMail:  [email-masked]

Appendix A. Handling of URNs by URL resolvers/browsers.

   The URN syntax has been defined so that URNs can be used in places
   where URLs are expected.  A resolver that conforms to the current URL
   syntax specification [3] will extract a scheme value of "urn:"
   rather than a scheme value of "urn:<nid>".

   An URN MUST be considered an opaque URL by URL resolvers and passed
   (with the "urn:" tag) to an URN resolver for resolution.  The URN
   resolver can either be an external resolver that the URL resolver
   knows of, or it can be functionality built-in to the URL resolver.

   To avoid confusion of users, an URL browser SHOULD display the com-
   plete URN (including the "urn:" tag) to ensure that there is no con-
   fusion between URN namespace identifiers and URL scheme identifiers.

              This Internet Draft expires September 30, 1997.

Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 7]

--------------5E2D70906A2F
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name="diffs"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="diffs"

*** urn.syntax.txt	Thu Aug 21 08:16:40 1997
--- draft-ietf-urn-syntax-05.txt	Thu Aug 21 12:52:50 1997
***************
*** 5,16 ****

  Internet-Draft                                                Ryan Moats
! draft-ietf-urn-syntax-06.txt                                        AT&T
! Expires in six months                                        August 1997

                                 URN Syntax
!                  Filename: draft-ietf-urn-syntax-06.txt

  Status of This Memo
--- 5,16 ----

  Internet-Draft                                                Ryan Moats
! draft-ietf-urn-syntax-05.txt                                        AT&T
! Expires in six months                                         March 1997

                                 URN Syntax
!                  Filename: draft-ietf-urn-syntax-05.txt

  Status of This Memo
***************
*** 36,46 ****
  Abstract
  
     Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
!    location-independent, resource identifiers. This draft documents the
!    canonical syntax for URNs along with a discussion of both existing
     legacy and new namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and
!    transmission.  Based on the canonical syntax, there is a discussion
!    of URN equivalence and how to determine it.
  
  1. Introduction
  
--- 36,46 ----
  Abstract
  
     Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
!    location-independent, resource identifiers. This document sets
!    forward the canonical syntax for URNs.  A discussion of both existing
     legacy and new namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and
!    transmission are presented.  Finally, there is a discussion of URN
!    equivalence and how to determine it.
  
  1. Introduction
  
***************
*** 55,67 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 1]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

  2. Syntax
--- 55,67 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 1]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

  2. Syntax
***************
*** 100,106 ****
  
     number      ::= %x30..39
  
!    This is slightly more restrictive that the syntax of [4] (which
     allows the characters "." and "+").  Further, the Namespace
     Identifier is case insensitive, so that "ISBN" and "isbn" refer to
     the same namespace.
--- 100,106 ----
  
     number      ::= %x30..39
  
!    This is slightly more restrictive that what is stated in [4] (which
     allows the characters "." and "+").  Further, the Namespace
     Identifier is case insensitive, so that "ISBN" and "isbn" refer to
     the same namespace.
***************
*** 115,127 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 2]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

     form follows:
--- 115,127 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 2]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

     form follows:
***************
*** 142,148 ****
     namespace might contain characters that are not members of the URN
     character set above (URN_chars).  Such strings MUST be translated
     into canonical NSS format before using them as protocol elements or
!    otherwise passing them on to other applications. Translation occurs
     by encoding each character outside the URN character set as a
     sequence of one to six octets using normalized UTF8 [5], and the
     encoding of each of those octets as "%" followed by two characters
--- 142,148 ----
     namespace might contain characters that are not members of the URN
     character set above (URN_chars).  Such strings MUST be translated
     into canonical NSS format before using them as protocol elements or
!    otherwise passing them on to other applications. Translation is done
     by encoding each character outside the URN character set as a
     sequence of one to six octets using normalized UTF8 [5], and the
     encoding of each of those octets as "%" followed by two characters
***************
*** 154,160 ****
     The remaining character set left to be discussed above is the
     reserved character set, which contains various characters reserved
     from normal use.  The reserved character set follows, with a
!    discussion on the specifics of why each character is in this set.
  
     The reserved character set is:
  
--- 154,160 ----
     The remaining character set left to be discussed above is the
     reserved character set, which contains various characters reserved
     from normal use.  The reserved character set follows, with a
!    discussion on the specifics of why each character is reserved.
  
     The reserved character set is:
  
***************
*** 162,172 ****
  
  2.3.1 The "%" character
  
!    The "%" character is RESERVED in the URN syntax for introducing the
     escape sequence for an octet.  Literal use of the "%" character in a
!    namespace MUST be encoded using "%25" in URNs for that namespace.
!    Two characters from the <hex> character set MUST follow the presence
!    of an "%" character in an URN.
  
     Namespaces MAY designate one or more characters from the URN
     character set as having special meaning for that namespace.  If the
--- 162,172 ----
  
  2.3.1 The "%" character
  
!    The "%" character is reserved in the URN syntax for introducing the
     escape sequence for an octet.  Literal use of the "%" character in a
!    namespace must be encoded using "%25" in URNs for that namespace.
!    The presence of an "%" character in an URN MUST be followed by two
!    characters from the <hex> character set.
  
     Namespaces MAY designate one or more characters from the URN
     character set as having special meaning for that namespace.  If the
***************
*** 175,187 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 3]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

     by the hexadecimal representation of that octet.  Further, a
--- 175,187 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 3]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

     by the hexadecimal representation of that octet.  Further, a
***************
*** 235,253 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 4]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

!    of URNs in a more human-friendly form by using a character set that
!    includes characters that aren't permitted in URN syntax as defined in
!    this RFC.  In other words, they may replace %-notation by characters
!    in some extended character set in display to humans.
  
  5. Lexical Equivalence in URNs
  
--- 235,253 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 4]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

!    of URNs in a more human-friendly form and may use a character set
!    that includes characters that aren't permitted in URN syntax as
!    defined in this RFC (that is, they may replace %-notation by
!    characters in some extended character set in display to humans).
  
  5. Lexical Equivalence in URNs
  
***************
*** 295,307 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 5]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

     beyond the scope of this document.  Namespace registration must
--- 295,307 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 5]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

     beyond the scope of this document.  Namespace registration must
***************
*** 355,367 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 6]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                    August 1997

  11. Editor's address
--- 355,367 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 6]

  

! INTERNET DRAFT                 URN Syntax                     March 1997

  11. Editor's address
***************
*** 415,420 ****

  
! Expires 2/98                                                    [Page 7]

--- 415,421 ----

  
! Expires 9/30/97                                                 [Page 7]

+ 

--------------5E2D70906A2F--

To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [URN] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 09:36:18 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--NextPart
		
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: URI Resolution Services Necessary for 
                          URN Resolution
	Author(s)	: M. Mealling, R. Daniel
	Filename	: draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 1997-08-02
	
Retrieving the resource identified by a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) 
[3] is only one of the operations that can be performed on a URI. 
One might also ask for and get a list of other identifiers that are 
aliases for the original URI or a bibliographic description of the 
resource the URI denotes, for example. This applies to both Uniform 
Resource Names (URNs) and Uniform Resource Locators (URLs). 
Uniform Resource Characteristics (URCs) are discussed in this document 
but only as descriptions of resources rather than identifiers.
 
A service in the network providing access to a resource may provide one or some of these options, but it need not provide all of them. This memo
specifies an initial set of these functions, to be used to describe the
functions provided by any given access service and the requirements that
must be met when those operations are encoded in a protocol.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type:  Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"
	
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type:	Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-02.txt";
	site="ds.internic.net";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"
	
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:37:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [URN] Agenda for URN meeting in Munich
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>

Here's the (short'n'sweet :-)  proposed agenda for our meeting in Munich.
If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

I don't expect we'll need lengthy discussions of the documents; as I mentioned
last week, I think the focus should be on sorting out what we are (and
are not) going to do about namespaces.

Leslie.

------------------

----------------------------------------
IETF URN Working Group
----------------------------------------

Agenda for Thursday, August 14, 1997 (0900-1130), Memphis, Tennessee.

Discussion of document-specific issues: 
        . Requirements & Framework for URN Resolution [Karen]
		draft-ietf-urn-req-frame-03.txt
        . URN Resolution Services [Michael]
	        draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-01.txt
	. Mini-namespace ("ietf") [Ryan won't be present]
	        draft-ietf-urn-ietf-02.txt

Other issues: 
        . Namespaces -- requirements, recommendations and assignment

Closing:
        . Action plan for WG wrap-up

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you                           
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "_Be_                                           Leslie Daigle
             where  you                           
                          _are_."                 Bunyip Information Systems
                                                  (514) 875-8611
                      -- ThinkingCat              [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------