Subject: [URN] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:34:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Resolution of Uniform Resource Identifiers 
                          using the Domain Name System
	Author(s)	: M. Mealling, R. Daniel
	Filename	: draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 18-Nov-98
	
   The architectural principles laid out in RFC2276 [15] defines the
   concept of a 'resolver discovery service'. This document describes
   an immediately-deployable RDS. It is implemented by a new DNS Resource
   Record, NAPTR (Naming Authority PoinTeR) [16], that provides a method
   for encoding incrementally discovered rules within DNS. By using
   these incrementally discovered rules to re-map parts of a URI, we
   can change the host that is contacted to resolve a URI.  This will
   allow a more graceful handling of URLs over long time periods, and
   forms the foundation for a new proposal for Uniform Resource Names.

   In addition to locating resolvers, the NAPTR provides for other
   naming systems to be grandfathered into the URN world, provides
   independence between the name assignment system and the resolution
   protocol system, and allows multiple services (Identifier to
   Location, Identifier to Description, Identifier to Resource, ...)
   to be offered.  In conjunction with the SRV RR, the NAPTR record
   allows those services to be replicated for the purposes of fault
   tolerance and load balancing.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.