Subject: [URN] Looking for latest BIND with NAPTR implementation

From: Justin Couch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:43:04 +0800

Excuse the newbie status to this WG,

I'm starting to work on some java based URN implementations for client
side resolver work. I'm trying to determine/locate what is the
recommended version of BIND with the latest implementation of the
NAPTR/SRV schemes. It is prefered that it be capable of generating the
additional info fields for testing purposes (preferably running on Linux
as I can't get access to our production machines). Also, compliance with
the two drafts issued last Friday would be great.

I've searched through all this year's archives but cannot find any
reference to publically available implementations (although plenty of
discussions about NAPTRs themselves!).

I'm doing this work as part of the VRML efforts (you've probably seen
the the posts from Aaron Walsh) and also for larger issues. I've already
implemented a simple file based URN resolver but would like to start
work on the DNS based solution. As part of this work, there will be a
generic DNS resolver classes and the URN implementation making use of
it. Any pointers to starter code (searched all the usual places like
Gamelan, JARS etc) that would save me coding (and can be freely
redistributed) would also be greatfully accepted. Another really useful
item would be an implementation of the regexp rewriting rules in pure
java (no outsourcing to PERL!).

In some private conversations with Aaron and some list members, there is
quite some interest in a pure DNS resolver class independent of the URN
handling. Expected delivery would be within 2-3 weeks assuming
everything goes smoothly on the server end for the resolver and the URN
stuff sometime just after Christmas.

-- 
Justin Couch
Senior Software Engineer                           VRML-Java Author
ADI Ltd, Systems Group.
[email-masked]                    http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Look through the lens, and the light breaks down into many lights.
 Turn it or move it, and a new set of arrangements appears... is it
 a single light or many lights, lights that one must know how to
 distinguish, recognise and appreciate? Is it one light with many
 frames or one frame for many lights?"      -Subcomandante Marcos
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:48:46 -0500 (EST)

> Excuse the newbie status to this WG,

We're all newbies to implementations! ;-)

> the two drafts issued last Friday would be great.

All versions of BIND since 4.9.6 support NAPTR on the client and
server side. The earlier versions of BIND 8 had a problem with zone
transfers that was  caused by a bug in named-xfer. The current version 
of BIND 8 has fixed that problem. 

The two knew drafts don't really change anything with respect to
NAPTR and URN resolution. The only minor change is the step for
doing general URI resolution. I.e. unless I screwed something up, 
the new papers are backward compatible.

> discussions about NAPTRs themselves!).

I have released a toolkit (apache style license) that contains
an attempt at an Internet Explorer plugin and the client side libraries
that were put together by Ron Daniel at LANL. We will be following
these up with a Java client library. We are also working on NAPTR/SRV
support in Mozilla (the ngLayout switch is making that one take longer).

> java (no outsourcing to PERL!).

There are several Java regexp implmementations out there. I can 
dig them up if needed. The toolkit above uses an Apache style license
so any changes to that can be incorporated into anything you need.
We are desperately looking for help in implementations (I'm _not_ a 
win32 programmer by any stretch of the imagination).

> stuff sometime just after Christmas.

Ah. You need a Java class for NAPTR and SRV? We have both of those. I'll
find the code and put that into the toolkit as well. If you don't 
hear from me by Monday afternoon be sure and bug me about the
Java classes.

The location of the current toolkit is:
ftp://research.netsol.com/pub/urn/plugin/

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]