Subject: [URN] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:49:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Assignment Procedures for the URI Resolution 
                          using DNS (RFC2168)
	Author(s)	: M. Mealling
	Filename	: draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 23-Nov-98
	
RFC2168 defines a DNS resource record and an algorithm for using DNS
as a registry for retrieving URI delegation rules (sometimes
called resolution hints). That document specifies that the first step
in that algorithm is to append 'uri.net' to the URI scheme and retrieve
the NAPTR record for that domain-name.  I.e., the first step in
resolving 'http://foo.com/' would be to look up a NAPTR record for
the domain 'http.uri.net'. URN resolution also follows a similar
procedure but uses the 'urn.net' zone as its root. This document
describes the procedures for inserting a new rule into the 'uri.net'
and 'urn.net' zones.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.