Subject: Re: [URN] Looking for latest BIND with NAPTR implementation

From: "Yves Arrouye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:13:40 -0800

Justin,

I've developed my C URN resolution library (soon to be freely available from
Centraal Corporation) using BIND 4.9.7. I think that BIND 4.9.6 and up
handle NAPTR RRs correctly. They also do handle SRV RRs by the way, which
can be used in the process of discovering a resolver for URNs.

Yves.

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:47:53 -0500 (EST)

> can be used in the process of discovering a resolver for URNs.

Beware that bind 8.1.2 (current production version) has a bug in 
named-xfer that causes NAPTR records to not be transfered correctly during
a zone transfer. If you don't have a secondary (bad thing) or are
running 4.9.6 or higher this bug does not affect you.  Contact me directly 
if you need the patch. You can also find it in the list archives...

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:03:53 +0100

At 20.13 -0800 98-11-22, Yves Arrouye wrote:
>They also do handle SRV RRs by the way, which

You can also check the "getservicebyhostname" function which I have 
written. You can find it on ftp://ftp.cafax.se/pub/paf/srvlookup.tar It 
handles the parsing of srv records in DNS.

  paf