Subject: Re: urn:uuid:c2f41010-65b3-11d1-a29f-00aa00c14882/

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:03:50 -0500

There is a process for registering URN namespace (RFC 2611) which this
namespace should follow. I've done others so I might as well do this one.
There are a couple of issues here though:

1) slashes ('/') are not allowed to be used un-percent-encoded in a URN
thus that leading slash violates the URN syntax rules

2) draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt (August '98) describes the UUID/GUID
algorithm and provides a way of creating one if you don't have a MAC
address handy. You can find a copy here:
http://www.opennc.org/dce/info/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt

My proposed URN GUID namespace will follow the DCE rules but won't
allow the slash (as required). It will reference the DCE spec but
will provide text for sufficiently unique system identifiiers without
a MAC address.

-MM

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 12:39:30PM -0500, Charles Reitzel wrote:
> That would be XML Data, which is one of the early schema proposals and was
> submitted by Microsoft.  It has only NOTE status.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-XML-data-0105/
>
> Charles Reitzel
>
> >Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:19:01 -0800
> >From: "Cox, Roger" <[email-masked]>
> >
> >The xml data type namespace
> >urn:uuid:c2f41010-65b3-11d1-a29f-00aa00c14882/
> >seems to be in common use, but I cannot find the
> >definition. Where is it?
> >Thank you.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]