Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt

From: "Larry Masinter - [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:47:36 -0700

I wrote this up for discussion purposes, as a response
to some of the discussion about URNs, URIs, and the
difference between abstractions and resources that
describe them. The discussions have been on many mailing
lists (in the "to" list). However, in the interest of
reducing the number of duplicate messages, I suggest not
cc'ing all of these lists in subsequent discussions.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 3:43 AM
To: IETF-Announce:
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : 'duri' and 'tdb': URN Namespaces based on dated URIs
        Author(s)       : L. Masinter
        Filename        : draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt
        Pages           :
        Date            : 22-Aug-01

This document defines two persistent namespaces of URNs based on
prepending a date to an (encoded) URI. The results are namespaces
in which names are readily assigned but which offer the persistence
of reference that is required by URNs. The first namespace (duri)
is used to refer to URI-identified resources themselves, while the
second namespace (tdb) is used to refer to abstractions that are
not themselves networked resources but are 'described by' them.
This idea and things like it have been discussed for several years,
but recent discussion about use of URIs and URNs for identifiers
in XML-based constructs has inspired writing this up more completely.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.