Subject: rfc2141 - URN syntax question

From: Ryan Fransen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:43:09 -0700

Section 2.1 of rfc2141 states:

        <NID> ::= <let-num> [ 1,31<let-num-hyp> ]

I am wondering what is specifically meant by:  [ 1,31<let-num-hyp> ]

Would I be correct in saying:  The NID can contain between 1 and 31
characters, with a hyphen anywhere except the first character?

Any help in my confusion is appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan Fransen
[email-masked]
http://www.pwrm.com

---

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:30:48 +0000

> characters, with a hyphen anywhere except the first character?

After having some debugging fun with recognizing an IP address (most
stacks take '10' as '10.0.0.0' or accept any 32 bit number) I'd love to
change that at some point just to make an implementors live easier.

        1-32 chars a-z 0-9
        first char no '-' or digit.

Dw.