Subject: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:41:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
	Author(s)       : Juha Hakala
                          Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2012-01-19

   National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are widely used by the national
   libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
   resources such as digitized monographs.  Generally, NBNs may be
   applied to all kinds of resources that do not have an established
   (standard) identifier system of their own.

   A URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace for NBNs was established in
   2001 in RFC 3188.  Since then, several national libraries in several
   European countries have implemented URN:NBN-based systems.

   This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
   within the updated URN framework.  A revised namespace registration
   (version 4) is included.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02.txt

---

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:21:44 +0100 (MEZ)

[[ speaking as a co-author ]]

URN folks,

A new version of the URN:NBN draft is available (cf. below).

The most significant change from the -01 version is the removal of
an unused feature from RFC 3188 -- non-ISO 3166 based NBN prefixes,
in accordance with one of the basic principles of the IETF Standards
Track:  Don't standardize features that aren't used.

This removal has been done based on feadback from the bibliographic
community as collected by Juha; it has lead to some simplifications
in the syntax and quite a bit of related text, and it will allow
the unused registry for such NBN prefixes (maintained per RFC 3188
at the Library of Congress) to be abandoned eventually.
One argument that has been pointed out was that the ISO 3166 MA
has started to assign "pseudo country codes" to supranational bodies
(in particular, EU), and such bodies could be envisioned as future
candidates to host agencies with similar duties as national libraries,
and hence candidates for future, a bit generalizied, use of NBNs.

Further, significant effort has been put into a cleanup of terminology
and textual clarifications, and many editorial details have been fixed
according to the most recent style guide recommendations.

At 19 Jan 2012 13:41:43 -0800, internet-drafts wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names,
> Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>

A HTMLized version of the draft and htmldiff's from the previous
draft version are available from the IETF Tools site:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?difftype=--hwdiff&url2=draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02.txt

Please review this draft thoroughly and send your comments to the urn list!

Kind regards,
  Alfred.