Subject: [urn] 2141bis Section 7.1 question

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 09:13:16 -1000

In 2141bis Section 7.1, the fourth bullet reads like this:

  4.  The scope of the namespace (public vs. private, global vs. local
       to a particular organization, nation, or industry).  For example,
       a namespace claiming to deal in "national identification numbers"
       ought to have a global scope and address all identity number
       structures, whereas a URN scheme for a particular national
       identification number system would need to handle only the
       structure for that nation's identity numbers.

The example is driving me crazy at it seems to be using the same
situation but suggesting two different outcomes. Am I just not reading
that correctly?

-andy

---

From: Juha Hakala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:39:31 +0200

Hello,

Comments and suggested new text below.

> situation but suggesting two different outcomes. Am I just not reading

The difference between "all national identification numbers" and "a 
particular national identification number" is somewhat subtle, and the 
example itself perhaps not an ideal one since a single namespace for all 
national identification numbers is unlikely.

The point could be driven home in another way. IMO it might be better to 
use an existing URN namespace or at least an existing identifier.

4.  The scope of the namespace (public vs. private, global vs. local
        to a particular organization, nation, or industry).  For example,
        a namespace based on an international standard such as ISBN
        ought to have a global scope and address all ISBNs no matter where they have
        been assigned, whereas a URN scheme for a particular publisher's
        product numbering system would need to handle only the
        structure for that publisher's product identifier.

Instead of ISBN it is possible to use as examples ISNI (International 
Standard Name Identifier) and ResearcherID 
(http://www.researcherid.com/), which is a publisher driven ID for 
researchers.

Juha

>
> -andy
>
> _______________________________________________
> urn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn