Subject: [urn] FWD: Last Call: <draft-adid-urn-01.txt> (Advertising Digital Identification (Ad-ID) URN Namespace Definition) to Informational RFC

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 04:01:58 -0500

URNBIS WG:  FYI.  This is worth looking at, and possibly
commenting on, with regard to not only its content and
definition quality but also to whether the new registration
model would sufficiently identify and deal with any issues.  

In particular,

(1) The new registration procedure would turn this over to
Expert Review, largely eliminating the possibility that someone
in the community who accidentally knows about and understands
the subject matter would look at and review it.  On the other
hand, Expert Review can permit more intensive interaction and
negotiating with the authors of a registration request and/or
template than is normally part of the "throw it over the wall"
character of IETF Last Call and approval.  Is that the tradeoff
we want?  Would be worth the trouble to add an announcement to
the IETF list and window for comments to the expert to the
procedure (assuming the IESG would let us)?

(2) This I-D apparently contains references, some of them
implicit rather than listed, to documents that are behind
paywalls or otherwise hard to obtain and whose stability status
is unknown.  Some of its content describes those external
documents, which might be considered as either an informal
tutorial or something that might, as the external standard
evolves over time, become inconsistent with that external
standard.   Are those things satisfactory?  If not, do we need
to describe the external documentation we are willing to accept
and/or push the authors/ would-be-registrants to be more
explicit in some way?

Please copy this list on any Last Call comments that would bear
on 2141bis.

thanks,
    john
Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Monday, November 21, 2016 10:55 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Last Call: <draft-adid-urn-01.txt> (Advertising Digital
Identification (Ad-ID) URN Namespace Definition) to
Informational RFC

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to
consider the following document:
- 'Advertising Digital Identification (Ad-ID) URN Namespace
Definition'   <draft-adid-urn-01.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and
solicits final comments on this action. Please send substantive
comments to the [email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-12-19.
Exceptionally, comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In
either case, please retain the beginning of the Subject line to
allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Advertising Digital Identification (Ad-ID) Identifiers are
used    identifying Advertising Assets across all media
platforms (over the    air, on-line, over the top, mobile, place
based). This document    defines the formal Uniform Resource
Name (URN) Namespace Identifier    (NID) for Ad-ID Identifiers.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adid-urn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adid-urn/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:00:36 +0900

Hello John, others,

> procedure (assuming the IESG would let us)?

I think if this is the scenario we're concerned about, then submission 
to an urn-related list (the easiest would be this list) when applying 
for expert review, and conducting the expert review (mostly) on that 
list, would be better than further cluttering the IETF list.

Regards,   Martin.

> _______________________________________________
> urn mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn
> .
>

-- 
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology
College of Science and Engineering
Aoyama Gakuin University
Fuchinobe 5-1-10, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara
252-5258 Japan