Subject: [urn] draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-17

From: R Atarius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:52:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all,
new revision has been uploaded. 
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-17.txt

thanksRoozbeh

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 20:02:52 -0600

> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-17.txt

Thanks, Roozbeh.

My apologies for not commenting on earlier versions of this document.
Herewith some comments.

1. The title talks about MEID but this is really a registration for
3GPP2 as an organization, isn't it? That's a bit confusing.

2. The document uses the template from RFC 3406, not the updated
template from RFC 8141. Would you mind modernizing Section 3?

3. HEX is defined as uppercase only. If lexical equivalence to lowercase
a-f is desired, let's specify that in the registration.

4. This registration seems to fall under the fast-track registration
policy (Section 6.3 of RFC 8141) and thus could point to [S.R0048-A] for
many details (e.g., much of Section 4.2 in this Internet-Draft).

Making these changes should not be too onerous, and might make the
document shorter and simpler.

Peter

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:08:11 -0400

> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-17.txt

Interestingly, the only item where Roozbeh did not follow my suggestion,
the description of the check digit, is thoroughly explained in the
Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_equipment_identifier
The article also discusses the relationship of MEIDs to ESNs and IMEIs.

Given that the check digit is not present in the URN and is reasonably
well documented in the public literature, I agree that there is no need
to give the somewhat elaborate details of the check digit system in the
RFC.

Dale

---

From: "Svensson, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:13:48 +0000

Hi Roozbeh,

> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-17.txt

Thanks, as promised I've now read the complete I-D again.

Tiniest nits:

1) The declaration of syntactic structure uses "pchar" and "pct-encoded" without defining them anywhere. You might want to add something along the lines "'pchar' and 'pct-encoded' are defined in RFC 3986".

2) In the references section, the entry for SC.R4002-0 has "Version 10.0" in the text but the URL and the linked document say Version 12.0.

Best,

Lars