Subject: USWG Minutes - Washington D.C.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:35:05 -0800

User Services Working Group Minutes
    	                 IETF - Washington, D.C.
                   Monday, December 8th, 1300-1500
		Chair: Joyce K. Reynolds/ISI ([email-masked])

A report on IETF User Services Area activities was presented by Joyce
Reynolds, which included news on related USV Area FYI RFC publications
and current Internet-Drafts since the last IETF.  Liaison with other
IETF areas included a WEBPRIV BOF (USV/APPS) at this IETF.

The Site Security Handbook WG is working on their Internet-Draft,
draft-ietf-ssh-users-04.txt, as a companion document to their
handbook.

The Responsible Use of the Net (RUN) Working Group has the following
Internet-Draft in process and review: draft-ietf-run-spew-02.txt.

The STDGUIDE Working Group, which is a joint Ops/Mgt and USV project
is still working on its Internet-Draft:
draft-ietf-stdguide-ops-04.txt.

Four FYI (For Your Information) RFCs (Request for Comments) were
published since the last IETF.  Two of the four are products of the
User Services Area of the IETF (Site Security Handbook WG, and
Humanities and the Arts WG).

	FYI 32, RFC 2235, "Hobbes' Internet Timeline"

	FYI  8, RFC 2196, "Site Security Handbook"

	FYI 31, RFC 2150, "Humanities and Arts:
	                   Sharing Center Stage on the
                           Internet"

	FYI 30, RFC 2151, "A Primer On Internet and
                           TCP/IP Tools and Utilities"
                   
Reports on related global liaison group activities and international
conferences were reported.  A TERENA Networking Conference will be
held in 1998.  TERENA's "Guide to Network Resource Tools" is in
process of being published.  Hopefully, both in book format by
Addison-Wesley and as an update to FYI 23 (RFC 1580).  Peter
Valkenburg (TERENA) and Joyce are working with key players to finalize
publication.

George Munroe provided a presentation, update, and discussion on the
TERENA/IETF ETINU (Environment to Inspire Network Users ) Project
since the last IETF in Munich.  An evaluation panel has been set up,
and ETINU has received funding from TERENA.  The questionnaire is
ready.  George showed the on-line questionnaire and the make-up of it
(point and click).  During this period, ETINU launched their survey.
They have received 200 responses so far, but would like additional
input.

George stated that what's next for this project is to encourage more
responses for the survey.  The intent is to obtain a larger sample.
Their goals are to have a full survey report finished by January 1998.
Preparation of a list of desirable features by February 1998.
Identification of software modules will be completed by March 5, 1998.
The ETINU web pages are available at:
http://www.terena.nl/task-forces/tf-etinu/.

Updates of Internet Scout activities were provided by Susan Calcari.
There is a new Subject Specific Scout Report (SSSR).  It reports on
new and newly discovered Internet resources.  In the long run, it will
provide selective dissemination of information.  A new endeavor called
Signpost (a search and browse scout report) is up and running.
Another project, named Roads, is being worked on by the Internet Scout
in collaboration with people in the U.K.  For additional information:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/scout.

Joe Aiuto of the "DS" (Directory Services) side of the InterNIC gave a
brief talk about the end of funding for the projects and services his
site has been supplying to the Internet.  The ds.internic.net will
cease operations on 1 April 98.  Joe is looking for someone who would
be interested in taking over the products and services that need a new
home.  Contact Joe at <[email-masked]>.

The rest of the session focused on the USWG's document update project
of FYI 4, RFC 1594 ("FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to Commonly
asked "New Internet User" Questions").  This was lead by Jodi Ito and
Sepi Boroumand.