Subject: put your thinking caps on

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 16:44:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi all.  It is me, your almost-AD.  While we have been known to refer to
Joyce as our "fearless leader," that tag sure doesn't apply to me at this
point!  "Nervous Nellie" is a bit more accurate! :-)  Still, I am sure
that by working together, we can put me on the right track.

Joyce and I have been talking about how to effect a smooth transition and 
part of our strategy is that you'll be hearing from both of us for awhile 
as kind of an extended "hand off."    

One thing that is interesting to me is that the transition of AD comes at
a point where the Area itself is in transition, more so than at any other
time I can remember since User Services became an Area.  The USAC (area
council) folks know this, but the rest of the USWGers may not be aware
that there was serious consideration during the nomination/selection
period to closing down USV as an Area and absorbing the existing groups
into the General area.

Obviously that was not the choice made (which is good).  However, the fact
that it was considered is interesting and something that we should think
about.  It may be that it will make sense to close the Area before the
next IESG transition.  (See following.)

Another pertinent observation by the nomcom was that few of the candidates
for USV AD had a clear vision of where the Area should go.  You may think,
"well, April was obviously chosen because she had the shining vision of a
true leader."  Modestly (well, actually: "truthfully"), I must admit that
was not the case.  I had little clue as to what the USV vision should be.
However, I argued that we should be given the chance to develop one.  And
this is something I would like to start kicking around on the list, partly 
because I know there are a lot of people with good ideas on this list who
probably can't attend the meeting.  And partly because I would like to
have some ideas before I go!

By "develop a vision" btw, I mean a *new* vision; I don't mean to imply
we've been limping along visionless.  I do feel, however, that now is the
time to re-evaluate past emphasis and figure out where we're going today.
This is the same exercise Joyce would be doing now, had she decided to
re-up (instead of deserting us to our fates) (not that we're bitter) (but
I digress :-).

In particular, the many of you who probably spoke to the nomcom might
already have been thinking along these lines and have a head start.
Please share!

I will see what possibilities I can toss out myself, but I am hoping
to listen for awhile first (and this email is already long enough!).

thanks!
April Marine

p.s. I look forward to working with all of you and am counting on you
remaining active contributors!

p.p.s. anyone who will be in L.A.: we are thinking of a "thank you" dinner
for Joyce on Wednesday evening, so let me know if you are interested in
attending.  (You don't think she reads this list, do you?!?  Just kidding.
:-)