Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt (fwd)

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

People probably already got this because it went to the old WG address and
*I* got it.  That's fine, but if you have any discussion of it, and I hope
you do, pls do it on THIS list ([email-masked]).

(The WG address will be updated on the IETF side today.)

Thanks to Susan and Paul for getting something out to discuss before the
mtg!

April

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:27:30 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the User Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Tao of IETF
	Author(s)	: S. Harris
	Filename	: draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 06-Jul-00
	
In recent years, the attendance at Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF) face-to-face meetings has grown phenomenally. Many of the
attendees are new to the IETF at each meeting, and many of those go on
to become regular attendees. When the meetings were smaller, it wasn't
very difficult for a newcomer to get into the swing of things. Today,
however, a newcomer meets many more new people, some previously known
only as the authors of documents or thought-provoking e-mail messages.

Many IETF participants don't go to the face-to-face meetings. Instead,
they are active on the mailing list of the IETF Working Groups. The
methods and mechanisms of Working Groups are often difficult for
newcomers to comprehend.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-tao-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
  Send mail to [email-masked] for more info.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:26:51 -0700

A clarification on this draft. Susan is the editor. I helped with a 
heap of cutting-and-pasting because she is out of town this week and 
expects to be busy next week. However, the outline is hers and the 
task of changing the outline and adding new stuff is hers.

FWIW, there are a few other people who have contributed changes. 
Those didn't get into this initial version, but she said she very 
much wants to get them into future versions. So, now that we have a 
fuller document to discuss, if you have comments for changes, 
deletions, or additions, now is the time to speak up.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:32:56 -0700 (PDT)

Is this a complete re-write of the original Tao of the IETF that was
written years ago? (By Gary Malkin maybe?)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen 
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems, Office of the CSO
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
e-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

* See you at INET 2000, Yokohama, Japan July 18-21
  http://www.isoc.org/inet2000

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:03:57 -0700

>written years ago? (By Gary Malkin maybe?)

Section 1.1 says:

1.1 Acknowledgements

The original version of this document, published in 1994, was written by
Gary Malkin. The outline for the revised document was created by Susan
Harris.

Significant portions of this new document were written by Paul Hoffman.
Other contributors include Scott Bradner, [[ more people added here as
they contribute significant ideas or text ]].

--Paul Hoffman, Director

---

From: "Susan R. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Thanks to Susan and Paul for getting something out to discuss before the

Actually the thanks go *entirely* to Paul, who was kind enough to put the
document together while I was on vacation!