Subject: RE: T-shirts and other Tao questions

From: Burke Chris-CCB007 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:53:08 -0500

Susan,

The original text of the T-Shirt bar BOF report from Adelaide, which I
wrote, was on a laptop of mine that was stolen over the Memorial Day weekend
(sad face graphic thingy) :(. The text was posted on the message board but
was never sent electronically that I know of.

I tried to reconstruct it for Donald, but it's not exact - just close.
Here's the reconstruction:

>"A small group of interested parties held an informal bar BOF last night to
>design a T-Shirt for the Adelaide IETF meeting. The group formed rough
>consensus around a very attractive design but ultimately rejected the
design
>due to intellectual property issues surrounding an underlying technology
>(the stylized IETF logo, which the IETF would not license). A new, IPR-free
>design was developed collaboratively. During the BOF we achieved rough
>consensus (the shirt design) and running code (prototypes we had made at
the
>local T-Shirt shop). If you don't like our design, feel free to design your
>own T-Shirt and interoperate with us. Otherwise our reference
implementation
>is available for $XX at <address of T-Shirt merchant>. NOTE: The bar BOF
>participants are not profiting from sales of the reference implementation."

Hmmm...still some XX and missing blanks in that, but I doubt we want to
immortalize the address of an Adelaide T-shirt shop in an RFC / FYI.

Maybe someone with a photographic memory, or who remembers the text better,
can tweak this to get it closer to the original.

Chris Burke

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Susan R. Harris [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Monday, July 17, 2000 2:41 PM
To:	Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
Cc:	USWG; [email-masked]
Subject:	T-shirts and other Tao questions

Hi Don - I really like your edits to the Tao.  Just a couple of questions:

> 1.10 Social Event
> 
>    Another of the things normally organized and managed by the local
>    hosts is the IETF social event.  The social event has become a
>    tradition for Tuesday evening at the IETF meetings.

I noticed you omitted the language about Marshall and T-shirts:

   [the social event was] immortalized by Marshal T. Rose with his
   reference to "many fine lunches and dinners" [ROSE], and by Claudio and
   Julia Topolcic with their rendition of "Nerds in Paradise" on a pink
T-shirt.
 
Did the original seem too out-of-date?
  
And a few paragraphs later you added this new text:

>    At the 47th IETF Meeting in Adelaide, Australias, in the absence of
>    an official T-shirt, an un-official "T-shirt BOF" was held resulting
>    in a design available from a local T-shirt store in the city.  This
>    was announced by the following notice which appeared on a bulletin
>    board at the IETF meeting:
> 
>       xxx

What should the "xxx" be?

<big snip>

---

From: Ray Plzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:44:12 -0400 (EDT)

Chris,

As I remember the text your reconstruction is very good.  

Ray

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Burke Chris-CCB007 wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:53:08 -0500
> From: Burke Chris-CCB007 <[email-masked]>
> To: 'Susan R. Harris' <[email-masked]>,
     Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
> Cc: USWG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: T-shirts and other Tao questions
> 
> 
> Susan,
>