Subject: The TAO

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 15:55:55 +0700

Hello:

As a class assignment (http://www.vlsm.org/komas/), we have 
translated the current tao at:

           http://gnu.vlsm.org/etc/ietf/tao.id.html

If you think that that translation is useful, I am going
to do a finishing touch.

regards,

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
Tinggal di Banten; numpang lewat DKI; kerja di Jabar -----

---

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:46:15 -0800 (PST)

The RFC Editor is always interested in translations of RFCs, so do let
them know as well.

thanks!
April

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April Marine				
Director of Client Services			[email-masked]
Nominum, Inc.					+1.650.779.6006

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:43:14 +0700

Hello:

Unfortunately, it was translated from http://www.ietf.org/tao.html
and not directly from RFC-1718. Since there is no news from
the Reston, I assume that no follow-ups is needed.

Thank you anyway,

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
-- Blue Cross -- Blue Shields -- Blue Tooth --------------

---

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:34:47 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Rahmat,

>>the Reston, I assume that no follow-ups is needed.

I'm sorry, but what "news" from Reston are/were you waiting for?

Steve

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:49:57 +0700

Hello:

Basically, I was waiting for what to do with the translation of
the Tao at http://gnu.vlsm.org/etc/ietf/tao.id.html .
It was just an assignment and I have not reviewed it yet.
The main objective of that assignment was not the translation
itself, but to give an idea on how to collaborate based
on BCP-25 (there were 8 WGs with different assignments;
guess who was playing "AD" :-). If you think that that 
translation will be useful (i.e. put it on your website), 
I am going to polish that translation.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:31:36 -0800

>I am going to polish that translation.

Even a polished translation should not be recommended by the IETF. It 
is great that individual communities are doing translations to help 
the native speakers in their communities, but the IETF has no way of 
validating that the translations are correct, or even that there are 
not better translations.

There might be some value to a page on the IETF site that points to 
other sites that have done translations, making it very very clear 
that the sites haven't been checked or approved, but not link to 
particular documents from the IETF site. I don't believe this would 
have much positive value, however, because a native speaker of a 
non-English language is highly unlikely to find the IETF pointer page.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium