Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:04:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the User Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: FYI on Questions and Answers Answers to Commonly asked
                         'Experienced Internet User' Questions
	Author(s)	: R. Plzak, G. Malkin, W. Houser
	Filename	: draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 22-Oct-01
	
This memo provides information to the experienced Internet user that
wants to know more.  The term 'experienced user' is used to
differentiate this user from the new users addressed by FYI4.  The
term experienced is relative. For the purpose of this memo
_experienced_ is any user who is familiar with the concepts
described in FYI 4.  The information provided in this memo is what
may be described as an upper level or top level description of some
of the applications and protocols that are in common use on the
Internet today.  This memo does not provide precise technical
descriptions.  For these the reader is referred to the appropriate
RFC or other documentation.  A conscious effort has been made to
keep this memo brief but at the same time provide the depth of
information necessary to provide a general understanding of the
applications and protocols described.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

---

From: Walt Houser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:05:16 -0400

The title repeats the word "answers" ie:  FYI on Questions and Answers 
Answers to Commonly asked "Experienced Internet User" Questions

[email-masked] wrote:

> draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt
>
> Content-Type:
>
> Message/External-body
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Part 1.2
>
> Content-Type:
>
> Multipart/Alternative
>
>

-- 
Walt Houser <[email-masked]>, Webmaster http:/www.va.gov/
VA OI&T Program Coordination Service (045APC)
VA Privacy Notice for Information Collected from E-mails and Web Forms <http://www.va.gov/privacy/email.asp>

---

From: "Ray Plzak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:11:25 -0400

That is the title of the FYI.  The editor neglected to put a ":" between the
2 occurances of the word "answers".  The title can not be changed.

Ray

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Walt Houser [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 12:05 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: April Marine
> Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt
>
>
> VA Privacy Notice for Information Collected from E-mails and
> Web Forms <http://www.va.gov/privacy/email.asp>
>
>

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:14:18 +0700

Hello:

I do not believe that there is something for me in the IETF.
Therefore, I have  decided to un-sub-scribe this list.

bye bye

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
...dasarnja apa?..adil sentosa?pribadi...{tidak madjoe2}x3

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:11:43 -0400

Why is that?  The title of this internet-draft can certainly be
changed. As long as you keep the same file name and increment the
version, the IETF Secretariate will accept updated drafts with minor
title changes. I've done it myself. You may have to bug them to be
sure the right new title goes out in the ID ACTION announcements.

And if/when the new draft is actually approved as the new FYI 7, I
don't understand any reason why, at that time, a minor change in the
title of the FYI couldn't be made...

Donald

From:  "Ray Plzak" <[email-masked]>
To:  "'Walt Houser'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc:  "'April Marine'" <[email-masked]>
Date:  Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:11:25 -0400
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:21:16 -0700

The answers in questions 5.1 and 5.2 do not seem appropriate because 
they are both very US-centric. Also, the $50 stuff is not even 
correct (US citizens? arrrgh), and it is probably not a good idea for 
us to be giving legal advice of this type. Further, both of these 
questions have no more to do with the Internet than they do with 
regular transactions. Also, "surf the Internet" is (thankfully!) 
passe.

Proposed replacement:

5.1 How do I protect my personal information when I use the Internet?

The ubiquitous nature of the Internet has resulted in widespread concern
for the loss of personal privacy. Once your privacy is compromised, you
cannot get it back. Because the Internet is international, the privacy
protections in one country might be very different than those in another
country. Further, the laws in many countries are changing, some towards
giving greater privacy, but some towards giving less privacy.

In general, you should give out only the information that you are
comfortable giving out. The person or company to whom you reveal
information may indeed keep it private, or they may reuse and possibly
resell the information, depending on the laws of the country in which
they (not you) reside. This is as true on the Internet as it is in
face-to-face transactions.

5.2 What steps should I take to protect myself when shopping on the
Internet?

Know the vendor with whom you are dealing as best you can. To prevent
people from snooping on an Internet connection, almost all reputable
merchants use the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) or Transaction Layer
Security (TLS) protocols when accepting credit card information. On most
browsers, you can tell if a connection is using SSL or TLS by the
presence of a little padlock at the bottom left corner of the web
browser window. Some countries limit the amount of loss that credit card
users can accrue due to misuse of their card number, while other
countries have less or no limits on the loss, so it is always good to be
careful when ordering by credit card on the Internet or in face-to-face
transactions.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium