Subject: minutes of Salt Lake City mtg

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:48:04 -0800 (PST)

(No Ray, these aren't your notes, but I'll do those next :)

                            Minutes of the
		   User Services Working Group (USWG)
                   IETF - Salt Lake City, UT - Dec. 2001

Recorded by April Marine.

The USWG had a simple agenda this session:

 	o  USV Area Update
	o  Update of FYI 7
               <draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt>
        o Other Business - Future of WG

USV Area Update
===============

Since the User Services Area has shrunk to just the User Services
Working Group and since the IETF goal in general is fewer rather than
more WGs/Areas and since the Area Director's term is up in March 2002,
the IESG has decided to move the USWG into the General Area and
dissolve the User Services Area.  This will be done at the IESG
transition in March 2002.

The pending draft-hoffman-what-is-ietf-*.txt has been approved by the
IESG and is in the RFC Editor's queue.

Discussion of draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt
=========================================

The bulk of the time was taken up with a detailed discussion of the
draft of the update to FYI 7.  See Ray Plzak's slides for an overview
of the structure of the discussion.  Detailed notes were sent to the
list.  Ray and Walt Houser (via email to Ray) agreed to do some
rewrites based on the feedback.  Ray has a schedule where,
conservatively, this could go to RFC by the summer IETF.

Other Business
==============

What is future of the group?  Is it needed at all?  The people
attending felt it was useful to have a user focus somewhere in the
IETF.  (However, few people attended :).  Susan Harris agreed to help
April with an updated charter for WG review and comment.

Some ideas people had for work items: Security was a favorite topic in
various flavors.  Particularly, how to behave in a wireless network
environment--what to watch out for, do's and don't's, etc.  Another
was privacy preferences and the options for dealing with sites various
privacy policies.  Also mentioned was an overview of networking via
various access points other than a traditional computer, e.g. PDAs,
phones, etc., especially regarding the security implications of doing
so.

Some votes to go through all the FYIs and see if they need updating.
This was kind of started awhile ago.  Might resurrect the update to
FYI 1.

One idea of to discuss the robustness of the net.  What are the "real"
dangers to the infrastructure?  Viruses?  Take down of nodes?  A dose
of reality in light of recent events.