Subject: [Uta] MTA-STS and TLSRPT update

From: Daniel Margolis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:20:37 +0100

Hi everyone,

We have just posted a new draft for both MTA-STS and SMTP-TLSRPT (the
reporting format).

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-mta-sts/

A sort of stream-of-consciousness summary of the major changes:

STS:

** The removal of the "must have previously validated the policy" safety
check*
** Removal of the two-layer hostnames (policy.mta-sts.example.com
<http://policy.mta-sts.example.com> -> mta-sts.example.com
<http://mta-sts.example.com>)*
* HTTPS timeout
* Lots of syntax work in the ABNF and report fields
* Pseudocode improvements
* Removed Future Work and DEEP references, and DANE comparison

TLSRPT:
** Added a "catchall" category for failure types*
** Reporting on more granular types of successes and failures*
* Specification of retry behavior on reporting
* Specification of gzip behavior on reporting

You can see the full gnarly issues list (of closed issues) here:
https://github.com/mrisher/smtp-sts/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aclosed%20sort%3Aupdated-desc%20
.

Comments welcome.

Dan et al.