Subject: Re: [Uta] consensus call on K/V vs JSON

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 22:53:23 +0200

>> We had a (less than spirited) discussion in Praha about the K/V vs JSON.
>>
>> The situation is that of the active participants that are also
>> implementors one (postfix - Victor) has said that he does not believe
>> that postfix will ship with a standard JSON-based implementation but
>> that this doesn't preclude third-party plugins.
>>
>> The other major implementor who is also an active participant (google)
>> has stated that they have a JSON implementation but that they are
>> also eager to close this issue. One more implementor (Chris) has stated
>> no preference but also said that his (native) JSON parser is somewhat
>> smaller than his K/V one.
>>
>> Based on this and falling back to the IETF WG process as chair I would
>> conclude that there isn't enough consensus to make a change and that
>> we are staying with JSON.
>>
>> I would prefer to have more opinions (implementors in particular) but
>> we are also going to get past this. In particular I would like to hear
>> from implementors who (like Victor) have a problem living with either
>> choice.

I'm calling this in favor of K/V over JSON. A significant number of
implementors of SMTP came forward to support K/V over JSON and that
is a clear indication of (rough) consensus.

The authors should feel encouraged to submit a new version asap so
we can move this document close to WGLC

	Cheers Leif