Subject: [Uta] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-uta-mta-sts-17: (with COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 04:11:19 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-uta-mta-sts-17: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-mta-sts/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some questions on use of normative language:

1) sec 3.3.: Is there a reason that you not always use normative language for
the recommendation regarding rate limiting? e.g. "...we suggest implementions
may limit further attempts to a period of five minutes or longer..." or "A
suggested timeout is one minute, and a suggested maximum policy size 64
kilobytes". (also a nit here s/implementions/implementations/)

2) Also in sec 8.1. and 8.2 you maybe want to use normative language as well...?

3) And there also a few cases in section 10.2 where normative language could be
appropriate/help: "we strongly recommend implementers to prefer policy
"max_age" values to be as long as is practical." and "we suggest implementers
do not wait until a cached policy has expired before checking for an update"
and "MTAs should alert administrators to repeated policy refresh failures long
before cached policies expire"

---

From: Daniel Margolis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 07:59:57 -0400

Sorry for the slow reply. I missed this one.

1. Done.
2. Done for 8.1. For 8.2, did you mean the cache-control recommendation? I
see that as purely up to the recipient, so less worthy of normative
language, but I can be swayed if you feel strongly about it.
3. Done.

These will be fixed in the latest draft.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:11 AM Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Uta mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uta
>