Subject: [Uta] I-D Action: draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 00:25:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Using TLS in Applications WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Use of TLS for Email Submission and Access
        Authors         : Loganaden Velvindron
                          Stephen Farrell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-01.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2019-03-07

Abstract:
   This specification updates current recommendation for the use of
   Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol to provide confidentiality of
   email between a Mail User Agent (MUA) and a Mail Submission Server or
   Mail Access Server.  This document updates RFC8314.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-uta-tls-for-email-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 22:00:29 +0100

Hi all,

>     Mail Access Server.  This document updates RFC8314.

Instead of rewording all the sentences mentioning TLS 1.1 to now mention 
TLS 1.2, why not say to follow the recommendations of BCP 195?

Example:

    OLD

    "As soon as practicable, MSPs currently supporting Secure Sockets
    Layer (SSL) 2.x, SSL 3.0, or TLS 1.0 SHOULD transition their users to
    TLS 1.1 or later and discontinue support for those earlier versions
    of SSL and TLS."

    NEW

    "As soon as practicable, MSPs currently supporting Secure Sockets
    Layer (SSL) or TLS versions that MUST NOT be negotiated per [BCP195]
    recommendations SHOULD transition their users to a later TLS version
    encouraged to be used by [BCP195] and discontinue support for those
    earlier versions of SSL and TLS."

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Le rire est une chose sérieuse avec laquelle il ne faut pas
   plaisanter. » (Raymond Devos)