Subject: input to the scenario design team for the analysis of solutions.

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:01:34 -0400

I would like to describe in a nutshell the TSP protocol that could be 
useful in some/many possible situations described in the scenario documents.

TSP (Tunnel setup protocol) is a control channel established between 
entities that need a tunnel. The control protocol enables the negociation 
of:
- tunnel parameters (encapsulated and encapsulating protocol IP addresses: 
ipv6, ipv4),
as well as other parameters:
- dns delegation info
- prefix assignment  (in this case, the requesting tsp client would be a 
router with a network behind)
- routing peering if needed

This negociation:
- is based on authentication of parties (anonymous is also possible)
- could be used for IPv6 over IPv4, IPv6 over IPv4-nat, IPv4 over IPv6, any 
over any

TSP could be applied as an optional feature with another mechanism (eg: 
isatap with tsp document made by Fred Templin)

TSP has been implemented by many implementors and is used in production in 
freenet6.net. For example, freenet6.net handles many many thousands of 
users, and handles tunnel requests, dns delegation and prefix assignment 
automatically. The tsp client is included in many open source operating 
systems distributions.

As a user, I have a laptop that is moving over different networks: ipv4 
global address, ipv4 nat address (hotels,...), ipv6-only network, dual-ip 
network. All these are handled by tsp for me, without any manual 
intervention. It gives me stability of my IPv6 prefix which is always 
working.

I hope that design teams will look at the documents to see if the tsp 
solution works for their requirements.
 draft-blanchet-ngtrans-tsp-applicability-00.txt (applicability, overview)
 draft-vg-ngtrans-tsp-01.txt   (tsp protocol)
 draft-vg-ngtrans-tsp-v6v4profile-01.txt (v6 over v4)
 draft-blanchet-ngtrans-tsp-dstm-profile-01.txt  (ipv4 over ipv6 with tsp)
 draft-parent-blanchet-ngtrans-tsp-teredo-00.txt (ipv6 over ipv4 with nat 
traversal)
 draft-templin-ngtrans-isatap-tsp-00.txt         (isatap with tsp)

Marc.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 03:11:03 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> TSP has been implemented by many implementors [...]

Could you elaborate?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:04:58 -0400

>> TSP has been implemented by many implementors [...]

I haven't compiled a list, but we received questions on the draft from guys 
that were implementing it. We actually fixed a few things based on some 
comments.

Marc.

------------------------------------------
Marc Blanchet
Viagénie
tel: +1-418-656-9254x225

------------------------------------------
http://www.freenet6.net: IPv6 connectivity
------------------------------------------
http://www.normos.org: IETF(RFC,draft),
  IANA,W3C,... standards.
------------------------------------------