Subject: open 6to4 relay routers implementing RFC3068?

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:41:37 -0700

How many open 6to4 relay routers are implementing RFC3068?
(the IPv4 anycast address)

I've tried from 3 different places, 2 in the US and 1 in Europe,
it seems that I always end up in Switzerland...

    - Alain.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:01:53 +0300 (EEST)

> it seems that I always end up in Switzerland...

We (FUNET, AS1741) in Finland do, since about a year ago.

We've received packets to 192.88.99.1 from the oddest of places (I've full 
logs and have done some analysis: like mit.edu and Japan etc etc.).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: "Marco d'Itri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:32:35 +0200

>(the IPv4 anycast address)
route-views.oregon-ix.net says:

AS559 (SWITCH)
AS1741 (FUNET)
AS8379 (cybernet-ag.net)

Most routes are from AS559.

-- 
ciao,
Marco

---

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 2002 11:12:50 +0200

> Most routes are from AS559.

Hm, how flattering.  Maybe we should start prepending AS559 to some of
our peers.  Anyway, the geographical/topological distribution of
RFC3068 relays (Finland, Germany and Switzerland) is certainly
somewhat lacking for non-European users.

So if you're outside Europe, please consider setting up a public
RFC3068 6to4 relay.  It's really not that difficult, provided that you
have some control over your external IPv4 route announcements.  I also
don't think you'll see that much traffic - here's the MRTG page for
our relay, which seems to be widely used:

http://www.switch.ch/lan/stat/6bone/swi6t1-tunnel2.html

(Although the load could certainly go up in the future if some worm
enables IPv6 on gazillions of XP installations 8-)

Especially if you have security/liability concerns about relays 6to4
are insecure, you should consider setting one up so that we get some
empirical data.
-- 
Simon.