Subject: New draft - NeighborAffiliation Protocol for IPv6-over-(foo)-over-IPv4 (version -01)

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:55:59 -0800

Hello,

I have sent the above-named personal draft to the IETF repository.
It is available for immediate perusal at:

   http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/neighbor_affiliation-01.txt

The document obsoletes both a "-00" draft version of the same
posted on 10/25/02 and an earlier document posted on 10/19/02
named "router_affiliation-00.txt".

You've all done a great job of withholding your comments up to
now, but this will be the last update I send prior to IETF 55;
please send any comments you may have based on this version.
Abstract appears below:

Fred
[email-masked]

Abstract

    This document proposes extensions to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery for
    IPv6-over-(foo)-over-IPv4 links, where (foo) is either an
    encapsulating layer (e.g., UDP) or a NULL layer. It is essentially a
    lightweight, link-layer mechanism for neighbors to establish security
    associations, discover and dynamically re-adjust maximum receive unit
    (MRU) estimates, and perform unreachability detection. The protocol
    makes no attempt to ensure reliable message delivery; this function
    is performed by higher-layer protocols, e.g. TCP.