Subject: Re: IPv6 tunnel over NAT

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:15:39 +0900

>> The question is whether IPv6/PPP/xyz/TCP is good enough for the
>> particular case of hosts stuck behind a NAT that they cannot remove or
>> upgrade.  I think that the answer in this case may well be "yes".
>
>well, obviously it depends on the applications being run and the
>quality of the underlying links.  if you're running real time apps
>over UDP over PPP over TCP over a lossy IP link, you'd probably
>be much happier using Teredo.  do we really want to say, for instance,
>that it's okay for the generic solution to break streaming audio?

	the use of TCP doesn't really change the situation to streaming audio.
	if you see how many layers of encapsulations we are using for DSL
	services (take a look at diagrams in draft-mickles-v6ops-isp-cases-01)
	i think you will agree with me.  it's a horrible world.

itojun

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:41:52 +0300 (EEST)

> 	i think you will agree with me.  it's a horrible world.

How many of those layers perform error correction (retransmission) 
measures like TCP does if there is a problem at a lower layer?  End-to-end 
retransmissions?  Right.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:40:13 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
> i think you will agree with me.  it's a horrible world.

Do you think IPv6 makes it better ?

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...IPv16 is even closer...
http://www.ietf.com
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://www.netfilter.org/
http://ipv8.dyndns.tv
http://ipv8.yi.org
http://ipv8.dyns.cx
http://ipv8.no-ip.com
http://ipv8.no-ip.org
http://ipv8.no-ip.biz
http://ipv8.no-ip.info
http://ipv8.myip.us
http://ipv8.dyn.ee
http://ipv8.community.net.au
http://ipv8.ods.org