Subject: RE: 3gpp transition solutions, revision -02

From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:59:33 +0100

> > => In theory, yes. But we need to get an IP n IP profile
  > > for ROHC. Pretty easily done. 
  > >
  > 
  > ok, and that sounds better than using translation mechanisms.

=> Sorry, I don't think this has anything to do with replacing
translation. We're talking about two different cases. I was
trying to explain that tunnelling overhead, over the air interface
can be removed with ROHC. That doesn't mean that IPv6 UEs will
not talk to IPv4 UEs.

  > I've just tried to check that big document (TS.23060). But 
  > I did not find your point. Anyway, if you say that is 
  > possible, I think that this case and solution (dual-stack 
  > UE connecting to a node via an IPv4 network through IMS) 

=> I'm sorry, I don't mean to confuse you, but I was 
saying that it is possible to allocate IPv4 addresses to
UEs and that it is explained in TS.23.060. This TS says 
nothing about V4 - V6 coexistence issues

Hesham

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:19:03 +0100

> can be removed with ROHC. That doesn't mean that IPv6 UEs will

What is the plan for apps that are broken by NAT? Won't the
supported apps be relatively few, and better handled by dual stack
application proxies than by NAT-PT?

   Brian