Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-v6ops-multicast-issues-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 06:06:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Multicast Deployment Issues
	Author(s)	: P. Savola
	Filename	: draft-savola-v6ops-multicast-issues-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2002-11-4
	
There are many issues concerning the deployment and implementation,
and to a lesser degree, specification of IPv6 multicast.  This memo
describes known problems, trying to raise awareness.  Currently,
global IPv6 interdomain multicast is completely impossible except
using SSM: there is no way to convey information about multicast
sources between PIM RPs. Site-scoped multicast is also problematic
when used alongside to global multicast because of that.  A few
possible solutions are outlined or referred to.  In addition, an
issue regarding link-local multicast-blocking Ethernet switches is
brought up.  Finally, a feature request for MLD snooping switches is
noted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-v6ops-multicast-issues-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-v6ops-multicast-issues-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-v6ops-multicast-issues-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.