Subject: draft-ymbk-sparse-v6-allocation-00.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:03:00 -0800

i doubt this is worth discussion in the wg meeting in atlanta, as it
is more process than engineering.  but folk may be interested anyway,
and may want to ding me on it in the corridors.

    http://psg.com/~randy/draft-ymbk-sparse-v6-allocation-00.txt
    http://psg.com/~randy/draft-ymbk-sparse-v6-allocation-00.html

Abstract

   This document proposes that the IAB request the IANA to allocate the
   address space for the IPv6 2000::/3 prefix to the Common Registration
   Service for further allocation under the registry plan for IPv6
   Address Space Management.

randy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:10:54 +0100

Cite RFC 1881 "IPv6 Address Allocation Management."

Otherwise, no brainer. It's a power shift, but a good one IMHO.

   Brian

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:48:08 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

A few comments.

   Special allocations from 2000::/3, e.g., space for experimental use,
   documentation, critical infrastructure, etc., will use the IETF
   consensus process [RFC2434].  Such special allocations will be
   requested of the Common Registration Service by IANA Considerations
   sections in IETF consensus documents.

==> how can IETF consensus process change anything (e.g. allocate 
3FFF::/16 for 6bone_v2) once it has been fully allocated to RIRs.

Then, it's already out of the IETF control.

I suggest delegating a smaller block for now.

   Additionally, this memo requests that the IAB request that the IANA
   delegate the corresponding DNS zones, 2.IP6.ARPA and 3.IP6.ARPA, to
   the RIRs in accordance with a DNS server plan to be decided by the
   RIR community.

==> I guess this could be used to provide ip6.arpa reverses for 3FFE..

  [I-D.ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3]
              Gupta, M. and S. Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing
              Architecture", draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11 (work in

==> I don't think M. Gupta had anything to do with this.. :-)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:58:49 +0100

Pekka,

> I suggest delegating a smaller block for now.

Address allocation has been out of the IETF's direct control for many
years; we delegated the entire IPv6 space to the IANA 7 years ago 
(RFC 1881, December 1995). And we have an excellent collaborative 
relationship with the RIRs. 

   Brian

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:29:16 +0200 (EET)

> relationship with the RIRs. 

I believe IANA has been tasked to do allocations under the direct guidance 
of IESG/IAB;  in practise, allocate only when told to do so.

There is no such formal control with RIR's.