Subject: RE: conclusion on 3GPP scenario 2 ?

From: "Thakur, Anand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:13:12 +0530

Hi Juha,
Taking up the same example of Host A (in network X which is V6 only) and B
(in network Y which is V6 only). When Network Y is set up can't the network
administrator (or anybody for that matter)  make sure that Host B (and other
hosts also) have their IPV6 addresses entered in a DNS server which resides
in the public IPV4 internet. This way Host A will be able to resolve Host
B's address without the query actually going to network Y. The dual stack
edge router of network X can always translate the IP headers of the DNS
packets as required.

regards

Anand Thakur
HCL Perot Systems (A SEI CMM Level 5 Company)
Plot No 3, Sector 125, NOIDA (UP)-201301, India
* Tel  +91 120 4432755-79, X3348 (EPABX)
mobile:9811748512

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:37:31 -0500

> edge router of network X can always translate the IP headers of the DNS

uh, hopefully not unless it's configured to only translate IP headers of
protocols for which it will do no harm - translating IP headers in general
will break applications that should work over IPv6.