Subject: RE: on NAT-PT

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 11:31:19 -0500

Maybe I'm confused...

Juha wrote:
>JW: Yes, IMS part of the 3GPP Release 5 network is IPv6-only (as discussed 
>several times also on this mailing list). It is a good question, how 
>probable the case that a Rel5 IMS UE needs to connect to an IPv4 node 
>(outside the IMS domain) is, but for the sake of completeness that case 
>needs to be documented in 3GPP scenarios & analysis.

Will the IMS subsystem have separate phones from the rest of 3G?  Or
could a dual-stack phone access the IMS subsystem, and also create
IPv4 PDP contexts to contact IPv4 nodes and services?

Karim wrote:
>The 3g link-layer (pdp context) cannot support ipv4 and ipv6
>together, so a phone having an ipv6 pdp context needs application proxies
>and translators to communicate with ipv4 hosts.

This does not match my understanding.  I thought that a 3G phone
could open several simultaneous PDP contexts, and that a dual
stack phone could have simultaneous IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts.
Am I mistaken?

Margaret