Subject: RE: on NAT-PT

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:41:29 -0800

> >> 	it looks that you mean something else, like avoiding the use of
> >> 	DNS-ALG from NAT-PT (=3D alter NAT-PT spec).  i don't see real
> technical
> >> 	ground for that.
> >There is some ground: the possibility to use NAT-PT when the remote
> >address is learned outside of the DNS channel.
> 
> 	if your "channel" was not through NAT-PT and you have leant IPv4
> 	address, you are basically dead.  there's nothing we can do.
> 	if your "channel" is NAT-PT and you have leant IPv4 address,
your
> 	NAT-PT does not support your particular "channel" - common NAT
> problem.

An IPv6 host doesn't have to be dead. If it has a piece of logic that
combines a "nat-pt prefix" with the IPv4 destination address, then it
can send the packet over IPv6 to that fabricated destination, and rely
on the NAT-PT to do the translation job.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:44:30 +0900

>on the NAT-PT to do the translation job.

	it seems to me that modifying an IPv6 host for transition purposes
	is not an option.  basically it makes IPv6 hosts aware of NAT-PT (or
	whatever) translation in the middle, hence similar to RSIP model.

itojun