Subject: FW: Document Action: 'Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenari os' to Informational RFC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:24:37 +0100

Congrats and thanks to the WG. 
Pls keep moving closer to the end 
(as opposed to "futher from the beginning")

Thanks,
Bert 

-----Original Message-----
From: The IESG [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: woensdag 26 november 2003 23:06
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: Internet Architecture Board; RFC Editor; [email-masked]
Subject: Document Action: 'Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenarios'
to Informational RFC 

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenarios '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Bert Wijnen.

RFC-Editor note:

- On page 2, please replace text

OLD:

   Between the subnet and the ISP access link is a gateway, which may
   or may not perform NAT and firewall functions. A key point of this
   configuration is that the gateway is typically not "managed". In
   most cases, it is a simple "appliance", which incorporates some
   static policies. However, there are many cases in which the gateway
   is procured and configured by the ISP, and there are also some
   common cases in which we find two gateways back to back, one managed
   by the ISP and the other added by the owner of the unmanaged
   network.

NEW:

    Between the subnet and the ISP access link is a gateway, which may or
    may not perform NAT and firewall functions. A key point of this
    configuration is that the gateway is typically not "managed". In most
    cases, it is a simple "appliance", which incorporates some static
    policies. There are many cases in which the gateway is procured and
    configured by the ISP.

    Note that there are also some cases in which we find two
    gateways back to back, one managed by the ISP and the other added by
    the owner of the unmanaged network. They are not covered in this memo
    because most of them either require some management, or the gateway
    added by the user can function as a L2 switch.