Subject: RFC 3974 on SMTP Operational Experience in Mixed IPv4/v6 Environments (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:34:31 +0200 (EET)

FYI (this was reviewed but not a product of this WG).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:37:42 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 3974 on SMTP Operational Experience in Mixed IPv4/v6 Environments

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 3974

         Title:      SMTP Operational Experience in Mixed IPv4/v6
                     Environments
         Author(s):  M. Nakamura, J. Hagino
         Status:     Informational
         Date:       January 2005
         Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
         Pages:      10
         Characters: 22729
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

         I-D Tag:    draft-motonori-dualstack-smtp-requirement-01.txt

         URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3974.txt

This document discusses SMTP operational experiences in IPv4/v6 dual
stack environments.  As IPv6-capable SMTP servers are deployed, it has
become apparent that certain configurations of MX records are
necessary for stable dual-stack (IPv4 and IPv6) SMTP operation.  This
document clarifies the existing problems in the transition period
between IPv4 SMTP and IPv6 SMTP.  It also defines operational
requirements for stable IPv4/v6 SMTP operation.

This document does not define any new protocol.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

         To: [email-masked]
         Subject: getting rfcs

         help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.