Subject: IPv6 Deployment Panel at ICANN San Juan meeting

From: Leo Vegoda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:43:50 +0200

Hi,

I've set the reply-to address to me as this message has gone to  
several lists.

There will be an IPv6 Deployment Panel discussion at the ICANN  
meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday 24 June between 3pm and  
4.30pm (UTC -4). The session will focus on the issues associated with  
deploying IPv6 on a network designed for IPv4.

Session information can be found on the meeting web site at:

http://sanjuan2007.icann.org/node/16

The session will be webcast and the ICANN public participation site  
lets registered users ask questions and comment in chatrooms and  
forums. If you have any particular questions then please submit  
questions to the panel in advance or during the session. You can also  
use the blog facility to write about the session afterwards. The site  
can be found at:

http://public.icann.org/

Video and a session transcript will be made available as soon as  
possible after the session has closed.

Regards,

-- 
Leo Vegoda
IANA Numbers Liaison

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:54:44 +0200

Leo,

Can you explain here (v6ops) what is behind the very curious phrase
"deploying IPv6 on a network designed for IPv4"?

I just can't assign any logical meaning to that phrase. I could
understand "adding IPv6 support to an IPv4 network" but your phrase
is equivalent to "running wide-gauge trains on narrow-gauge track".

I don't want to quibble over wording but I wonder if there is some
deeper misunderstanding.

     Brian

On 2007-06-14 16:43, Leo Vegoda wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I've set the reply-to address to me as this message has gone to several 
> lists.
> 
> There will be an IPv6 Deployment Panel discussion at the ICANN meeting 
> in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday 24 June between 3pm and 4.30pm (UTC 
> -4). The session will focus on the issues associated with deploying IPv6 
> on a network designed for IPv4.
> 
> The session will be webcast and the ICANN public participation site lets 
> registered users ask questions and comment in chatrooms and forums. If 
> you have any particular questions then please submit questions to the 
> panel in advance or during the session. You can also use the blog 
> facility to write about the session afterwards. The site can be found at:
> 
> http://public.icann.org/
> 
> --Leo Vegoda

---

From: Leo Vegoda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:37:48 +0200

Hi Brian,

On 15 Jun 2007, at 8:54am, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> understand "adding IPv6 support to an IPv4 network"

I think your wording is better than mine was. I'll get the web pages  
updated with your wording.

Thanks,

Leo